moisture detangling anti-humectant

Carols Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner

8 fl oz | Conditioner, Leave-in Conditioner
Product UPC: 820645021259

Product Rating: 2.32 Curls (Rated 2/5 based on 50 reviews) Login to add your review

This great-smelling, everyday conditioner is made up of Lavender, Rosemary and Marigolds, and scented with Vanilla. Thank you for making it one of our top sellers – your loyalty inspires us to make Read More...

This smells incredible and I think of it as aromatherapy. As for a leave-in, it doesn't detangle completely and it can make my 3b/c hair feel dry. However, as a refresher spray in dry summer heat this is great! It's also wonderful for scrunching the crunch.

The best thing about this leave-in is the scent. I absolutely love the smell. The product itself didn't do much for my hair. I liked it better once I started using it as a refresher spray.

Smell is the only reason why it gets 2 stars for me...it smells womdeful!!!! I would literally use as air freshener if I could....but as for your hair??? Nope. Left my hair beyond frizzy and shrunken...stayed somewhat soft though... Used as a 3rd day refresher on a twist out...also felt like the spray sat on my hair and just glided around...no penetration... Way too many chemicals as well...I think the panthenol caused unnecessary frizz too. Returned already smh

really wanted to like this one. smells amazing but left my hair dry, dull and crunchy.

The smell is really nice but it's not very moisturizing.

I tried this product because a lady at sephora said that it works like a gem on her daughters hair....A detangling product that ,makes my hair resemble straw? no thank you.. There is a chalky texture as it begins to dry AS I was combing through my hair, not a big fan. Ill try combining it with a few ingredients or oils maybe? I don't think anything will salvage it. Maybe its not meant for 3C's ?

I use leave-ins for my pre-poos, so I tried this hoping the aloe & glycerin & other humectants in it would give me some moisture before washing. Um...no. I felt my hair texture change while I was applying it. It felt like I had coated my hair with water and chalk. I noticed that the bottle said great for detangling...I sprayed a little on my fingers and rubbed them together--it had NO slip whatsoever. It was chalky and squeaky against my fingers--detangle my foot! My hair was SUPER dry, and I also experienced a lot more shrinkage than usual. To be fair, I used a new conditioner that day, too, but I really feel that this spray was the culprit.

3b/3c - I liked it for detangling my hair. Didn't mind the smell. It does feel a little oily to the touch but overall not a bad detangler.

My advice when using this product! I have 3c type hair. Im half asian hald black. ONCE you get out of the shower part your hair into sections and apply this product to your hair. Make sure that your hair is wet because, for some reason, your hair will get crunchy and sticky otherwise. Them once the product is distributed in your hair, take a comb, whatever detangling comb you use, start from the bottom and comb upwards to detangling. Do not touch and handle your hair too much. Take your time and be gentle when detangling your hair :) after I do this I take my diffuser and dry my hair, being careful not to touch it too much. I flip my head over and diffuse my hair from underneath. Thennnn, once my hair is about 2/3 or less dry, I scrunch it up and pull my curls very gently to break away any curls that are crunchy or sad. Lol, yes :) that's what I do.

The smell is really strong, so I usually water it down with 50%water. My natural hair dries out fast so this helps when I am styling or doing my twists. The moisture really doesn't last that long so I use this more as a detangler type product rather than a leave in conditioner.

I've been using this product for several months on my 21 years old daughter's relaxed hair for several months. Her hair had broken off because of styles chosen that resulted in hair damage. Inspite of low ratings, I've continued to use this product along with CD's hair butter because these products has drastically improved her hair 200%. Her hair is healthier,shinier, thicker and longer. Before using CD on her hair she was seriously considering cutting it, but now she absolutely loves it! As a result of the success she's having, she's also taking better care of her hair. I also use CD on my natural 4b hair, but we've seen the greatest result with my daughter's hair. I think she will be using CD products forever!

I agree that different things work for different people but I LOVE this product! From my relaxed hair to after doing my big chop and coming up on my 4a texture this stuff works for ME! It easily detangles my hair and the smell is delicious ! I pretty much adore the entire black vanilla line!

The smell is too strong ( literally vanilla extract ) and it does have white residue even though its a liquid applicator. It dries my hair out but it definitley defines hair. I don't like that it has corn starch and other ingredients I can't pronounce. It also makes my hair very crunchy. Not good for those who have allergens to flowers or perfumes.

Great for when I have braids in my hair to help mask the smell. That's about it.

This smells amazing...but it gave my mom an allergic reaction...but it smells good...that's it...

Smells good and good detangler...that's it.

This smells wonderful, but that's where the good qualities end. It left my hair very dry and hard. It seemed to accumulate flakes as well. I won't repurchase this.

Terrible. Just terrible. Everybody's hair is different and I am sure this works for somebody. But I wouldn't put this on my Shih Tzu after a bath just for the scent. The scent is an overwhelming stale beer and potpourri aroma. My ends were breaking off terribly after using this. I wanted to like it but this is a big no for me. Can't believe this brand is as big as it is. And for the price? No!

This is a really great 2nd day refresher. There is no way I could use this as a leave in alone but I spray this all over 2nd day hair making it somewhat damp and then go on to use heavier products. Its great because it actually sprays in a mist not a stream and is really light but still moisturizing. Its great as a foundation for 2nd day hair because I found that if I just put products in dry hair it can get a bit producty.

So, so relieved to see I'm not the only one! It's left my hair stringy, sticky and just plain miserable. I, at the time of purchasing this, was buying it purely out of habit and a slight naivete, perhaps that this was the only leave-in that might work for my hair. Ha! I wish I'd known, but I will never buy this product again. Simply said.

Horrible horrible, horrible ! provided absolutely no moisture & left my hair hard. I tried to mix it with other products & dilute it, but nothing worked. also the smell lingers for quite some time

I've used this product at least 3-4 times and I think this product is OKAY. I love the way it smells, however it only provides temporary moisture for my type 4 (a,b, & c) hair. I find in less effective after spraying it on damp hair, and more effective on dry hair. In general with Carol's Daughter products, one really needs to follow the directions on the label in order for these products to work well in their hair. Anywhoo, I prefer to use leave-ins that are thick & creamy, rather than thin. Overall it's great to have something that gives my hair a quick boost of black vanilla scent, lol.

Love most of the Carol's Daughter line, but this is a FAIL. Smells nice, but makes my hair hard and dry. Terrible leave-in.

To start the smell is awesome! Now for how it treats my hair. Well my hair loves this. I been using it off and on for about 4 yrs. My hair feel so wonderful after using it. However this I only use in the spring/summer months because I hate heavy products on my hair.

The smell was heavenly. That's about all this product had going...

my mom bought this yesterday for herself to try on her fine , dry 2B wavy hair and absolutly hated it , so before she threw it away , I decided to give this a shot on my thick , dry 3B/3C curls . So I tried this yesterday under one of my chosen styling products (which was my Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curling Smoothie) , and it did absolutly nothing for my hair but make it super DRY . Doesnt do anything , and is actually the ONLY leave in spray I've ever used that I hated so much ! Don't even get me started on the smell ... To me , it smelled like a mix of synthetic vanilla and beer . Absolutly disgusting . Not even worth giveing it to another curly head . Out to the garbage it went .

This stuff smells wonderful! I used it all throughout the day just for the smell alone. However, this made my hair dry and parched. So, why would I keep spraying it throughout the day is beyond me, because it's terrible! Probably just to use it up! This is the worst leave-in I've ever used. Normally, I like to use leave-in sprays to refresh my curls and give my hair a surge of moisture. This stuff did the exact opposite!

First off, let me say that it smells great. Now for the review. This is by far THE worst leave-in conditioner I have ever used. Ever. When I used it, my hair became extremely dry. My hair was hard and inflexible and don't even think about putting a comb in the same room as your hair when this stuff dries. Because if your hair even catches a glimpse of a comb out of the corner of its eye it will immediately break off in fear. I so disliked this product that I returned it. And I have never returned a hair product before. But nothing, nothing I own so displeased me as this product has. I read that one reviewer used it as a body spray. And if that is what you are looking for, then this product is a good choice. But if you are looking for a great leave-in conditioner for your hair? Don't bother.

I give this product 3 stars because it is light weight and helped somewhat to make my hair more managable. I have a combo of hair type 3c and 4a. I'm not quite a 3c but not a 4a, kind of a 3D, right smacked in the middle of both. I made my own natural hair care product, leave-in conditioner spray and by far it out did this product. It left my hair with shiny curls, soft, moist, managabe and very conditioned. So I prefer to stick with my leave in conditioner oppose to CD, it felt like fragrant water in my hair with a dash of conditioner, but nothing more than that. So if you want to give your hair a mist of water to revive it a bit then you may like this product, but unfortunately it wasn't for me, where my hair craves moisture and lots of conditioner.

I prefer creamy leaving cond but i really wanted to try this one: it was ok but not really great my hair need more moisture and i had to add the healthy butter to extra moisture my hair

I give it three curls for: awesome smell, good curl definition, and moisture. Whenever I use it I get compliments on the vanilla-y/coconut-y smell, it's strong in a good way (don't wear any other perfumes the days you use this, trust me). I also noticed when I used it people told me my hair had CRAZY definition and looked moisturized. I've never detangled with it, I like the concept of a spray leave-in but I only detangle with creamy leave-ins. Overall it's an OK product. I don't think I'll purchase it again because I want to see if there is anything better out there.

I almost gave this product a bad review because my hair felt sticky and kind of hard. I didn't want to throw the product away because it would be a waste of money. So, i got a separate spray bottle and mix this product with some aloe vera juice and water. It worked out well. My hair feels moisturized and it's a good detangler too.

Good for refeshing KCCC wash and go. May cause a little sticky build up if you use too much. Great smell!

Left my 4a/4b hair dry and brittle. No moisture, no conditioning whatsoever. It smells good, but way too expensive for a hair perfume 'cause that is all it is good for. I would not recommend to anyone. Were it not for the price I would have thrown this away.

Not that special of a product. Doesn't make it that soft, but it gives moisture, more of a greasy feeling tho

I give this product (2) curls solely for the scent. It did not add curl definition or moisture, and I did not experience any extra benefit as a detangler either because I use other products that provide that benefit. I would not recommend this product to other 4a's.

I love this product, but for some people I think it's misleading. I find this product to be wonderful detangler, but that about it. If you are looking for moisture benefits you won't receive it from this product. The product is great detangle and has a magnificent smell to it. I love how it helps my hair glide through the comb. Make sure to use a moisture afterward.

Was very unimpressed and disappointed with this product. Left my hair hard, and difficult to comb out. Unfortunately, I cannot return it, as it came as part of the Transition Cocktail. Perhaps I can find a friend who will have better luck with it.

This does absolutely nothing for my hair.Too watery & akes it hard & crunchy; adds no moisture or curl definition at all.Added some castor oil to it & it still doesn't work.Smells good tho.

Didn't like the way it made my hair feel. Smells good, but curls feel crunchy...

The more I used it, the more it dried out my hair!

This product did not seem to have any moisturizing or detangling properties. It dried my hair out and I definitely did not appreciate the stains left on my clothes and towels. It smells divine though. Luckily I bought it from Sephora where they allowed me to return it for a full refund!

This product is OUTSTANDING! I was able to comb out my oldest daughters hair without her trying to run from me because of snags and knarls. It detangles GLORIOUSLY!!!

it didn't really moisturize that much, didn't define my curls. smells great though.

this product smells great and hydrates hair well. i ended up mixing it with Carols Daughter hair elixer and spritz my hair with it at night and in the morning ...does not help curlz

Does absolutely nothing. Doesnt help detangle, has no slip, doesnt provide moisture. It didnt help my hair but didnt harm it either. It smells wonderful but this is too much $$ for a hair perfume

Smells great, but does not help define curls or moisturize very much. Left my towels stained from the oil. No more oil for us! (maybe as a once a week deep moisturizing treatment, but not using this product). Ended up giving it away.

This product made my hair feel hard and dry, not sure what went wrong in the making of it,but it earned that 2nd curl because it smelled so good that it made me want to spritz it on my neck as a body mist, lol, so that's what I did....now I just stick with using my Carol's Daughter Lisa's hair elixir, I like that 1 thing

Yes, this product smells great. Unfortunately, it is not enough to cover the sent of the other products that came in the 'Best Tressed' bundle that I ordered. It provides moisture, but does not provide curl definition.

Water (Aqua), Polysorbate 80, Glycerin, Panthenol ( Pro-vitamin B5), Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium PCA, Butylene Glycol, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower/Leaf Stem, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Caramel, Fragrance (Parfum)
Ingredient Attributes: moisture, detangling, anti-humectant