anti-humectant

Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter

8 oz | Styler
Product UPC: 820645035157

Product Rating: 3.40 Curls (Rated 3/5 based on 57 reviews) Login to add your review

With the power of seven essential oils, this creamy hair dress conditions your hair and scalp, helping to minimize breakage. Essential oils of sweet orange, lemongrass, patchouli, ylang-ylang, lavende Read More...

Extremely heavy on the rosemary essential oil scent. I have had my jar well over a year and still have at least 3/4 of the jar left. It is a weighty whipped shea butter blend with tons of great ingredients. In teeny tiny practically dime sized dollops it does wonders for adding moisture to my ends when my WNG is 3-4 days old. Anymore than a dollop and you might feel repulsed from the scent or have weighted hair. I find it to be less greasy and more moisturizing than Jane Carter Nourish and Shine which is a plus. However, it does not have much of a shine factor like Nourish and Shine. My hair tends to be shiny naturally BUT because this sticks to hair it can dull it out if too much is used. I find this hair butter to be great for a pre-poo or other treatment and it even rinses out well with a good co-wash. I have recommended it to a few of my friends whose type ranges from the 3s and 4s. If you are the type that doesnt want to make your own hair butter because each ingredient can add up and end up costing way more than $16 then this is worth giving a try. If you DIY, whipped cocoa and shea butter mixed with you favorite essentials oils might work too. The ingredients in this are pretty simple. This is not something that I could use daily but on an occasional basis where I need to SOTC, want a treatment boost, or day 3+ moisture to soften up my ends it works very very well. **One star off for the scent...it is quite intense.**

Great moisture, sealant, and plays well with everything. The smell is herbal, but I think it's fine. Only use a dab on each section, too much and you have greasy weighted down hair. I use it to refresh WnGs, convert WnGs to twist outs, and to retwist and remoisturize. I also use it as a sealant on my ends with other stylers that have more hold but not as much moisture.

This product is all that and then some! Leaves my hair so moisturized and soft. Great for detangling and defining my curls. I also used this as a moisturizer before straightening my hair( very rare if at all that I do this) it was excellent left my hair soft and shiny.Definitely will be repurchasing.

Did not even try because it smelled like chemicals. I gave to someone else.

I was very disappointed in this product since it was one of the first natural hair care products I purchased, and the first from Carol's Daughter. I picked it up at Sephora, and was happy it was so easily available, but I think this product is confused about what it wants to do....and right now it's doing nothing. It makes my hair feel parched, and greasy at the same time. My hair is not liking it, and I would not recommend it. You can get a better product, for less money, and without that cloying smell. Gave my curls zero definition. However, I really do like the texture of the product, and I want to find something else with this consistency.

Hair type: As it grows longer, 4a/b My hair seems to love this stuff. It works great on damp hair rather than wet. I apply it every night after dutifully spritzing with water and I wake up with ultra soft hair. The only drawback for me at the beginning was the smell. This stuff is heady. But after a while I got used to it, and have even come to like it. My only worry is other people won't like it so I have to wait a bit before leaving the house. Also it does cost a few Bob. I shall have to see if I can find a cheaper moisturiser/sealant

Hair Type: 4a and 4b...I love this stuff...I use it as a moisturizer...My hair is always moisturized after using this...However, I cant reapply it everyday because after 4 days my hair will start to smell a little..Other than that, its very moisturizing and gives my twist outs a nice shine when I use it with original moxie lux locks...

OMG but does my hair love this stuff. Unfortunately my pocketbook does not. Have to find a sealant that is cheaper.

The worst! It left my scalp inflamed and sore and left my hair so dry. NO THANKS.

I have it a 2 because I think I had good results using it as a pre poo. If use as directed I end up with weighted down sticky hair and keep my hair smelling horrible. I'm going to try it as a pre poo and come back with a clear review.

This left my fine 3C/4A hair feeling dry and crunchy. I clarified and moisturized my hair first, then used this to seal my hair and as soon as my hair dried fully my hair was matted and dry and hard as if I didn't add anything in my hair at all. I realize that the wax in this was the cause and I feel disappointed. I was really hoping this would be a long lasting sealer because I like to stick to a low manipulation routine. I will be washing this out of my hair tomorrow after a deep condition tonight. I had run out of my curling souffle and used this which was sitting in my closet but I am tossing this and the hair milk.

I used this product on my 4ab hair. It was good at moisturizing my hair. I use it mainly to moisturize my protective styles. I liked it and would certainly recommend it for that purpose.

I have to agree with the other postings....the smell is disgusting. I tried to work through it...but found myself washing it out. I attempted to use it on my son and he asked "Momma, what's that smell?!"...so I take it...I wasn't too far off the mark! Lol. I can't get past the smell to even review the product...it's in the back of my closet...waiting for someone I can give it to. Waste of money!

This product right here is the cat's meow. I was a lifelong fan of this product when the ingredients had a better quality and then CD changed the formula and I changed allegiance. This year a friend had some lying around and I decided to try it out and the love affair continued. I've compared this product with others and nothing compares. I tend to use this on dry, stretched hair as a styler. It can work on wet or damp but I tend to find that it weighs my hair down when applying this product in that state so dry it is and oh baby this product soaks into my hair, leaves it feeling, smelling and looking good. It's a keeper.

I have a small jar and still have yet to figure out if I like it and its been 6mths, I guess thats a no for now. The smell is horrible. I do like the thickness though.

Don't use it as a styler, or as a twisting creme. It did mediocre for those. I can understand its bad rep for that. But, its an amazing heat protector. When it says "protective cream", it does its job! I checked an uncoated hair strand under a microscope, because I'm very nerdy like that, the line of demarcation was raggedy and thin. But the product really does smooth out the cuticle and coat the hair strand. Transitioners and protecting curlies like me, use it as a blow out creme, and once you flat iron it, your runs through your hair is reduced. I love this. The smell is strong, but it does fade, and keeps your hair smelling fresh when it is pressed or blow dried!

This was not too shabby. It worked better when my hair was damp. A little goes a long way with this product. If you use too much, you're going to have an oily mess on your head. It did leave my hair soft when I put it on my hair. My hair sucked the product up so it didn't last long. Thank goodness it's $9 at the BX. It's not worth 16.50.

This is an awesome product. I love to use this for twisting and preserving my curls for some extra days and for updos. It really tames frizz and keeps my hair in place with any style up or down. The scent might be a problem for some people but for me its not. I don't mind the green leafy smell. By looking at the products ingredient list u can kind of have an idea on how the product might smell. Overall love this product because its so moisturizing and the thick consistency is perfect for styling updo's and keeping hair in place.

The ingredients in this product is amazing to my hair! I love it especially for an updo. The smell is very green and grassy due to its ingredients but I Love the product overall and dont care about the smell.

The smell is horrible but this product is great on my hair. Very moisturizing. One of my staples.

This was just horrible. Did absolutely nothing and just sat on my hair.

I love this product. You don't need a lot of it and it adds shine to my hair while holding my twists in place with no frizz. I have purchased this product 3 times and I don't plan on stopping. This is definitely a staple for me. I didn't care for the loc butter because my scalp itched when I used it but this product gets 2 thumbs up for me. BTW I only use this on clean damp hair for the best results.

NOOOOO!!!!! My aunt with 4/dreaded hair passed this along to me. She absolutely hated the product, but I thought maybe it's because she s a dread queen? That was not the case..... My hair became very dry and began to break. I had a feeling of split ends everytime I combed through my hair, but I dint have any. I passed it to my mother whom has very fine 3a hair and the same thing happened to her. Utterly disappointing in this product...

I am a product junkie, let's just get it out there, and I had heard many wonderful things about this product. I love the CD line, especially the Loc Butter (one of my staples). However, I cannot speak so highly of this product. It left my 4a hair feeling dry and it typically feels very moisturized and fluffy with my normal moisturizers (whipped shea butter and water). Also, the smell is HORRID. I am a big scent person, and it reminded me of chemistry class in high school and/ or a medicine cabinet. I would never want to smell this scent on someone. Also the smell does not fade, it lingers... 2 thumbs down on this one.

FYI: i am currently in my journalism class writing this review LOL okay so i brought this product about 2 weeks ago from Regis Salon where they had an awesome clearance (buy 1 get 2 free) so i went ahead and purchased it along with 2 other CD's product. before i decided to use it i cam on here to read other reviews and i am so glad i did. Kai from Curlmart basically helped me out tremendously. i did my regular DC and decided to have my roommate to plait my hair for a "semi braid out" and i blow dried my hair and dampened it then added the hair butter. when i woke up the next morning my hair was very soft and manageable but not greasy like i read from other reviewers. for me a little goes a long way so i never am heavy handed with product because for one I'M A COLLEGE STUDENT and two I'M A COLLEGE STUDENT lol. i wanted to be sure that this product was a lasting one so i used it everyday since the day after i brought it and it has helped my hair to become soft and moisturized. definitely a staple product in my TWA maintenance regimen. i could care less about the way a product smells, as long as it works for me!!! :) MAY I ALSO ADD: my jar does not look like the picture above so i may have a newer version of the hair butter. (my jar is brown and orange)

This product doesn't do much for my hair. When I apply it, my hair responds at first, but quickly goes dull after wards; if you use too much, it makes your hair a greasy, heavy mess. I dunno, maybe I'm using it wrong or something.

(I have type 4A, B, C hair) When I first tried this (back in Sept/Oct) I didn't like it, only because I used it on wet/freshly washed hair. However, recently I thought I'd give this product another fighting chance and tried it again. Only THIS time I used it on DAMP hair. To dampen my already dry hair, I used my Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner. Then I applied the Healthy Hair Butter on top....ladies I have fallen in love with this product!! Now I know I can ONLY use this on damp hair, not soaking wet or completely dry hair. As a sealant I used the CD Mimosa Hair Honey - which is amazing & controls frizz very well. A little bit goes a long way (with both products). I love the fact that this product is water-based. Alot of people like to pick a bone about the scent/fragrance of this product. Eh...it doesn't bother me. I think many people are used to hair products smelling like fruits or flowers nowadays, and this doesn't, lol. At first it was a little odd, but now I'm getting used to the scent. The scent doesn't linger too much in my hair, plus if you REALLY can't stand the smell, purchase some of the CD leave-in conditioner, it'll cover the Healthy Hair butter scent right up. If you don't feel like buying the leave-in, buy something else to spray on top of this scent, easy as that. I tried the 4o.z. container (just to sample it) and I definitely plan on purchasing the 8o.z. next time! :D

I don't like the smell but I like that it's water based and adds sheen to my hair.

THE SMELL! OMG! I just can't deal with the smell... lol... but it is moisturizing... but too heavy... There are just better products that don't smell like this and aren't as heavy. At this price it's just not worth it...

I just began using this product. I apply it before bed (with a half ounce of EVOO) and put my satin bonnet/scarf on. In the morning...my hair is sooooo soft and silky. Seriously, I have 4z (I know Z isn't a hair type) areas in my head of hair and the product combo allows All my types to be manageable (3b, 4a, and 4c). The smell doesn't bother me because the results are most important in my book.

My hair was super defined and shiny but as the day goes on, my hair became hard, coarse, and extremely dry. I really dislike this product. I will never purchase again. I prefer Some of Marguerite's Magic which left my hair super duper soft and shiny.

I really liked this product when I was relaxed. Now, that I'm natural I tried it again expecting to get that same level of moisture I've come to love from this product. Well, I'm not sure if in 2010 she switched the formula or whatnot, but this stuff leaves my hair HARD. I mean hard as a brick. It's not moisturizing either. The smell doesn't bother me, but the fact that it leaves my hair this hard and brittle warrants 1 star and a passing of it off to my mother for sure.

When it comes down to hair moisture, i give this product three curls. When i apply it on my hair, whether its wet or dry , it just sits on my hair. It doesn't do its job of moisturizing...well not immediately. I usually use this butter to seal my ends, do a protective style, and put a satin scarf on right after. It leaves my hair softer after a few hours. One of the better benefits of this product is the fact that i can use this not only on my hair but on my skin, feet and lips . This product immediately softens my feet, skin and lips. the longer i leave it on the better the results. i usually rub it on my feet each night and put some cotton socks on. i also put it on my lips right before bed and both results are the same. SOFT FEET AND SOFT LIPS ! All around beneficial product =D I will be purchasing this again!

I love the way this product moisturizes my hair!! I use it for my twist outs and my hair comes out so beautiful and soft! The only reason why it doesn't get 5 stars is because of the smell. I don't care to much for smell of it, but other than that its an awesome product!!

This is the only product that I like in the CD line. It keeps my 4a/b hair nice and soft and I love the smell. I use it over my KCCC curls on the 3rd and 4th days to put the moisture back in my hair.

I really liked this product. I think I used too much the first time, I have lots of hair and usually have to use hand fulls. It was very moisturing and hlped to clump my curls nicely.

I've been using CD Healthy Hair Butter since I went natural in 2006. I really like this product. The smell is not that bad and it goes away after a few hours. Out of all of CD's hair products this is probably the only one I would recommend.

The smell is the only reason why I don't give this product 5 curls. I currently live in a foreign country and this is a product that is available. I was hesitant about trying it since I had a bad experience with the Hair Milk about a year ago. I like hair butters and Miss Jessies Baby Buttercreme had been a staple but I must say aftr trying this one...I think I'm finished with Miss Jessies. This Healthy Hair Butter, gave me that curl and shine I've been wanting for a long time, and after one use, I have gotten so many compliments on my hair. I'm sold now. I'll probably try other Carol's Daughter products.

i love this on my twist, i'm fine with the smell. i'm definitley not a gel type of person, so this is a great substitution

i love this on my twist, i'm fine with the smell. i'm definitley not a get type of person, so this is a great substitution

I have very dense 4a hair that is color treated. Although I hate, HATE the smell of it, this product has to be one of the best things I have ever used in my hair. My twist-outs are the most defined they have every been and I have tried many products in the past. I would recommend it if you can get past the smell.

I have used this product for a two-strand twist out and for finger-styling. In both cases, I was not a fan of the smell. I will admit that I liked using this product for the two-strand twist out better than for finger-styling (the smell for one reason). In both cases, it left me with soft curls, but not touchable because the waxy/greasy feel.

This product is an excellent moisturizer for my hair and healing treatment for my scalp. I especially like the fact that my hair retains the moisture all day, even though I only apply it sparingly.

Could not get passed the smell. It is way too strong. Reminds me of some sort of herbal version of icy hot. It gave me a headache and I had to wash it out. The product looks light like a lotion but is heavy like a butter and has a waxy feel after applied. I did not purchase the product right out, bought it off another dissatisfied curly on a swap board. I gave it to my teenage daughter who loves butters, heavy oils (this has corn oil in it) and petroleum in her hair and she liked it. She said it made her hair softer. However her hair smells and I made her leave the room because I was getting a headache.

I just received my order today and am experiencing extreme dryness since transitioning from a relaxer. My initial reaction was negative as far as the odor goes but then I figured I should try it since I have it. I applied a generous amount to my hair since it was extra dry and my hair began to feel moisturized and soft and my curls didn't drop like with CD hair milk. I may update my review at a later time but for now I'm sold, it gave my 4b transitioning hair exactly what it needed!

I love this product, its actually one of my staples. It leaves my hair soft, manageable, and moisturized. Im the type of person who buys certain products and makes the rest. But nothing I have bought or made has came close to this product. I love it!!!

I love this product. At first, I hated the smell, but have grown to love it. I use this to moisturize my scalp and it does a fantastic job of keeping it well moisturized.

I don't know about you and your hair,but we are happy as peaches.I completely BIG CHOPPED my hair 16 months ago,so my view is completely unbiased. I love love this product,my hair and scalp is moisturized for days, curly or blow dryed straight, dry twists are a snap.i love the smell as it doesnt smell fake its woody,natural. No need to hide it,then again it depends on your body chemistry. CD products arent meant to be galloped on like some others.A little goes a long way and use as needed.I say Try again and use in different fashions.

I bought this last yr just as I began transitioning & it was horrible on my RELAXED hair, plus I didn't care for the smell. A yr later, I still don't care for the smell but I've noticed the difference using it on my NATURAL hair. Great @ giving my hair moisture & shine. I used it just before doing my two strand twists & it made my hair really soft. Masked the smell by mixing it w/ shea butter!

I bought this last yr just as I began transitioning & it was horrible on my natural hair, plus I didn't care for the smell. A yr later, I still don't care for the smell but I've noticed the difference using it on my natural hair. Great @ giving my hair moisture & shine. I used it just before doing my two strand twists & it made my hair really soft. Masked the smell by mixing it w/ shea butter!

Although this product was too heavy and waxy for my 4a/3c and my daughter's 4b hair, it works wonders for my husband's 4c! This hairdress moisturizes his dry scalp and conditions his hair while helping to tame/create the 'waves' of his close cut style; not to mention it imparts a nice sheen. I'll have to agree that the fragrance is strong and not too pleasant, but my husband actually likes it, so it's a keeper for him!

I agree, this product works wonders in the winter time. I go to this when my other moisturizers start to act up, because of the climate changes. You don't really need a lot to moisturize your hair with this product.

The smell was too strong and it weighed down my hair...I did not like it and did nothing for my hair. I give it 2 curls because it has all those essential oils

I don't like this product, it is very drying and waxy. After i put this on my hair, it made my curls way too curly and adds a sort of waxy texture to it. I don't recommend it but go ahead and try for yourself if you want to.

luckily i got it from tj maxx for $5.00. it initially gave me a nice soft twist out, but a few hours later my hair was dry. i wanted to like it:(.. the scent isnt too hot either. smells like a lighter scented noxema.

Works great during the winter. This product was not too greasy. I did not care for the smell but overall good product.

i just bought this product a week ago and use it along with carol's daughter loc butter to do twist outs. this product is very moisturizing and makes my hair feel soft. the smell is not very pleasant though

Water (Aqua), Glycine Soja ( Soybean) Oil, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Beeswax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), (Rosemary) Oil, Cymbopogon Flexosus (Lemongrass) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil,Lavandula Augustfolia(Lavender) Oil
Ingredient Attributes: anti-humectant