Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Styling Gel Extra Strong

6.8 oz | Styler, Root-Lifter
Product UPC: 603084243723

Product Rating: 3.79 Curls (Rated 4/5 based on 38 reviews) Login to add your review

A 98% naturally-derived styling gel for hold, all day, with zero flaking or residue. Acacia gum is used around the world for its natural holding properties. These naturally-derived formulas provide ul Read More...

When this says "extra strong hold", trust it! I used too much of this one day and my hair was hard and crunchy, even after day 2. It actually HURT to put my hair in the pineapple. This is better for a day 2,3,4, etc refresher with a little bit of water. I spritz water on frizzy areas and apply this gel to that, and voila..it works better! The smell is kind of weird, like lemon cleaner but that goes away pretty quickly.

I bought this when I was out of DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel. I like it, a little goes a long way! The first time I used this was with DermOrganic Volume Foam, my hair was hard and looked greasy (oops) I could NOT crunch out the product. Using a small amount of those two products and my natural blonde cherub curls come out soft and shiney. (normally they are very dry, fine and need assistance of good product to hold their natural curl). The gel has a slimy texture (yuk!) and is not 100% natural, minus a star for that. This is less than half the price of Deva gels. For second day hair I mist with water with just a little One Condition diluted in it, scrunch and go.

This is a great protein free gel. I am usually very heavy handed with all my gels, but with this one a little really does go a long way. A few days ago I went overboard and had stiff, stringy curls for 3 whole days until I washed it out. Not even EVOO could soften it! BUT, that is my own fault, not Garnier's. I got 2nd and 3rd hair when I used this gel over SM Curl Souffle, for the first and so far only time!

I've been using this for almost two years. It has a different texture than most gels, and really enhances my curls. It has a strong hold. The only thing I dislike about it is that it seems to make my hair take forever to dry. Anyways, this gel is cheap, natural, and works very well. It has a neutral alcohol, but it never seemed to dry out my hair.

I LOVE this gel! I have thick, frizzy 3b/a hair. It's seems that no matter what product I use, my 2nd day hair is dry & wild. I would have to apply product all over again to make it look decent & wear a headband to make it look tamed. I used this gel on damp hair after co-washing, applying leave-in, & plopping for about 15 mins. The gel wasn't heavy at all. My ends were a little crunchy, but only because I have a habit of being heavy handed with products the first time I try them. I am at the end of day 2 & all I had to do was spritz a little water on my hair after taking down the pineapple. My curls are still shaped nicely & I have no frizz, which never happens. I will definitely continue to buy this.

I heard this gel was good but I can't find it any where! :/

I tried this gel a few days ago, I'm currently on day 3, and it still looks great. My curls are 3a/b, low porosity, fine-medium thickness, and medium density, and also protein sensitive which is a problem with most products. This made my curls well defined, good control, and as frizz free as anything else I've tried. I live in an area with 70-90% or more humidity all summer, and even high in the winter most of the time. I let me hair mostly air dry, so as with any gel it dries crunchy, but after scrunching out the crunch once completely dry, it is very soft and bouncy with this gel. I am surprised due to the minimal amount of ingredients in this, and how natural the ingredients are. I have previously used Tresemme bouncy curls gel and love it, but it does contain a water soluble silicone and so I have been searching for something that works for me that is completely silicone free. I think I've found it with the Garnier pure clean gel .. and believe me I have tried ALOT of gels! I apply this gel after co-washing, and applying leave in, to soaking wet hair, by tipping head down, smoothing over curls and then scrunching it in and holding for 10 seconds in each spot. I apply a fairly liberal amount as long as hair is soaking wet. I then scrunch again with a t-shirt, again 10 seconds in each spot, moving around my head while head is down. Then flip it back up and mimimal touching after that .. just touch up any curls that are misformed or showing frizz by finger twirling with water and gel on fingers. Then air dry until crunchy, and using blow dryer on low underneath only, for a few minutes, as it takes my hair 3-6 hours to completely dry otherwise. I then let it finish drying before scrunching out the crunch .. beautiful, shiny, defined, soft, bouncy curls result :-). Love this so far!

This gel did nothing for my hair. It left it limp and stringy. I have virtually the entire bottle left and I have no motivation to play around with it. I also hated the scent. It was slightly lemony, but in a bathroom or kitchen chemical cleanser kind of way.

This product is positively AMAZING!! I love that it doesn't make my hair/ curls hard! Some gels tend to make my hair crusty, but this one is perfection. I only need to use a little bit- about a quarter size, sometimes less! I just flip my hair over, and scrunch it into my hair ^_^ !! LOVE this very much!!

Tried this product for the first time -- used with AG:Recoil while my hair was wet in the shower; a "quarter size" amount, as per the product instructions. I applied more gel periodically to curls, twisting individual pieces as it dried. The result was soft, well-formed, frizz-free curls -- and in mild humidity. For parts that dry crunch, you can scrunch out the crunch. We'll see how it stands up tomorrow when our temperature gets hotter. I give this "four curls" -- for the price, the hold and definition and for being CG-friendly!

This is just a phenomenal gel for me and my hair. It has a hold that is soft yet it keeps my hair in place. I have minimal frizz at the moment and my hair looks almost like the first day (I'm on my third day hair which is something I could never do with other gels such as the eco gel). I would tell everyone to try this product. It's cheap and affordable! My only issue is that I wish the size was bigger. I have a lot of hair and I've used 1/3 of the product already. However, I will be buying it again!

I've been using this for over a year now. I use much less than I would other gel products, try this for best results to avoid the gluey texture and crunch some mention. A little truly goes a long way, don't be afraid to use much less!. The best part of this gel is I have great 2nd day and sometimes 3rd day hair. More than anything else I've tried. If you combine it with a cream you will lose this benefit. Defined, shiny bouncy curls, I use a humidity barrier hair spray after air dry.

I actually use this as a sealer on top of 2 other gels. It's getting hot and humid so the harder and scrunchier my hair, the better. I love it! Its cheap, no alcohols or silicones. FInally a GF product I can get :D

I absolutely love this! The only problem I had with it was that I seemed to have to use a lot of it and the bottle went quickly. Definitely defined curls and they lasted as well.

love it really does what the package says but it tends to have a crunch as it dries but im ok with it love it

The only reason I'm not giving this 5 curls is that it leaves my hair kinda crunchy, BUT, the shine is crazy and the definition is so cute--ringlets for days. I'm 4a, fine, and super shrinky. Interestingly, I get some elongation. Winning!

Love using this for my wash & go's in conjunction with Kinky Curly Knot Today (without the white cast and crunchiness)! Gives me at least 3 day hair. Only con is that hair is still a little frizzy after using it.

This gel is EXTRA STRONG just like it says. I was looking for an alternative to eco styler as I am protein sensitive. I have to be careful not to use too much because it can feel like I put Elmer's glue in my hair. But it's OK. I will continue my search.

Excellent for 4a/4b with good curl definition but needing a gel to hold curl definition in humid weather. Was looking for an alternative to Kinky Curly Custard for wash n go because I could never get beyond 1st Day Hair. Used in conjunction with Kinky Curly Knot Today as a leave in conditioner and an oil mixture, leaves my hair defined moisturized and frizz free in Louisiana heat! Some crunch from gel cast, but I scrunch it out! This gel is heavy & exactly what my 4a/4b needs toe tame it!!!!!

It increased my frizz like a previous reviewer had written. It's really sticky. Sigh.... but it smells good and did define some of my curls. I just don't like it. The good thing is that I didn't purchase this gel, it was in my house. I think my mom bought it a while back. I think at least she likes it. =)

i was surprised that I really liked this gel, it defined my curls well when I used in conjunction with a leave in conditioner and it stayed like that for a day, but no longer. i definitely had to re wet/re apply product the next day but for the first 24 hours (like it said) it worked well! i rly like that this is alot more natural than their other products but wished it was vegan, thats my only complaint

Impressed with this line of products. At $4-5 per container very affordable. I mix the styling cream with the gel put in wet hair after my leave in conditioner. I found the cream by itself a little too greasy looking when my hair dried. Neither the gel or cream look crunchy when dry. I have spent much more on products than these & been much less impressed. happy about the ingredients since I am avoiding silicones & wax

Defines my waves, reduces frizz. Makes my hair soft and silky. Not crunchy or sticky. Did not weigh my hair down. I really like this stuff

I have been looking for a CG gel to replace Giovanni's Magnetic Gel which has been discontinued and I think I have found it with this product! I have thick 3b curls and this gel left my curls defined and frizz free. I applied this product on soaking wet hair following in my leave-in (Sheamoisture's curl & style milk) and air dried and scrunched out the crunch. My hair looked great and there were no flakes, no residue and no build up! I also had beautiful second day hair! I will say that this gel is sticky and the smell is odd so that is why I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. However, this is a great product and I will definitely buy it again in then future~

I really like this product. I use it along with the other 2 pure clean products (cream and paste). After soaking with my leave-in I comb out my hair, part it the way I want and scrunch with the cream, then this, then scrunch with the paste. Put my hair in my microfiber turban and diffuse after a half an hour or so. Works great on my 3B curls!

I found this gel way to hard when dry...and I didn't use much...and it flaked like crazy. Felt sticky when wet, with no slip. Left my hair feeling dry and gross. Felt like when you get a 'doo' done for wedding and they hairspray the heck out of it. So if that's what you are looking for, it might work for you.

I only used this once today and bought it because it was on sale. I started using it with CG, but it TOTALLY dried my hair out and weighed down my curls. It smells good, though. I think I'll give this to my brother who uses gel to control his hair rather than defining it.

I love this gel! I have fine 3b curls and live in humid So. Florida. This gel keeps the frizz away and, in addition, gives me great curl and shine. Good second day hair, as well (a major plus). I've been using this gel along with the new formula Garnier Sleek & Shine conditioner and it seems to be a good combo. I'm happy to have found a replacement to the pricey products I have been using for years. Kudos to Garnier for giving us quality ingredients at a great price.

I mix a little bit of this with KCCC, and the results are wonderful! However, I have yet to try this out all by itself. Doesn't come out sticky or watery. Clean scent, no residue, low price, and the ingredient list is awesome!

I am in love with this gel! I didn't expect to have such great results. I have been using the L.A Sport Gel (dark blue) for a few years, but I'm growing my hair out and I wanted something less sticky and hard. I also did an at home keratin treatment so my hair is a lot smoother and not as curly at the roots. The consistency of this gel is unlike anything I've ever tried.. It is very much like a jelly. It doesn't feel sticky at all, even before you put it in. It's like.. a little goopy and slimy.. Hard to describe. A little goes a long way as well. Anyways, I sectioned my hair and scrunched it in a bit while smoothing it through certain parts. Its just very silky and easy to work with. Harder, stickier gels are easy to mess up. But I found this product very easy to use and my hair feels soft but has definition. Also, the smell.. Yes it's strong when you first put it in, but it immediately goes away- at least for me. My hair doesn't usually hold smell anyways. I used this over Garnier sleek & shine leave in (there was a sale at CVS) and I liked the results with that. I feel like this gel is moisturizing enough that a leave in might not even be necessary depending on your curl type (I have very fine 3a-3b.)

This was the first gel I've ever bought on my journey to embrace my curls. I put it on in the traditional CG way: scrunch through dripping wet hair, allow to dry and then gently scrunch out the crispies. I'm really happy with the way it works in my hair... It doesn't flake and after I scrunch it a bit you can't tell I have anything in my hair and I love that! My hair is soft and smells delicious. As the day goes on I do develope some frizzies, I thought that was just normal curly hair behavior but after reading some of the other reviews I think I may try a different product next time to see if I get different results. Overall I'm happy with it and I would buy it again if I couldn't find anything that worked better for me. It's a great price and doesn't leave a residue!

I really like this gel because you don't need much of it to get great curl definition. It's soft & a bit matte. The smell is different, but not bad. My hair overall was light & clean-feeling with great definition, but a small amount of frizz. I think it does really well for the price & the small amount needed. I slathered on too much the first day & it was a little dirty looking near the roots of the hair, but with the proper amount it didn't happen the next day. I was a little alarmed at first how much my curls moved with car windows open, but they kept good shape & didn't blow apart. I'll keep using this.

Unfortunately this gel didn't do much for me at all, it increased my frizz to an amount I didn't think was possible! D: it also left my hair feeling really sticky, despite not putting on a huge amount. Not to mention it appeared to make my waves/curls go limp! I'm guessing maybe it was the large amount of glycerin that made my hair freak out - but ah well!

This product has some pretty good qualities 1- Its really cheap 2- Its really natural 3- it makes my hair shiny But it has some problems too- 1- it doesn't take care of all of my frizz Its the best cheap gel I can find.

This is a great product for any newbies looking for a basic, 'cone free gel. It smells great as well.

This is the only drug store gel I know of that is virtually all natural and has no silicones, plastics, or PVP/PA. It's also really cheap. I wouldn't say I'm in love, but it's definitely a good value. Pros: -It's more natural than even some of the CG boutique brands (e.g. Spiral Solutions, Curl Junkie) -cheap (I think I got it 2/$5 on sale) -feels very clean and rinses out easily -no flakes -good hold -hair feels soft after you scrunch out the crunch Cons: -strong citronella scent (but the smell doesn't last in your hair) -can sometimes look a little too shiny/producty in my golden brown hair -has a lot of glyercin, which can be an issue for some folks

I was not impressed with this gel. You must take into consideration that I have just recently been embracing my curls and have not had a lot of experience with styling, but this gel did nothing for my curls. I found it difficult to distribute evenly leaving my hair very uneven looking. It left my hair kind of crunchy and when attempting to scrunch out, it just created frizz and left me feeling like I had put no product in. After about a week of using this, my 3b curls had become really relaxed and super frizzy. I have since gone back to using a mousse which I really prefer anyways. Maybe gels just aren't for me, or maybe this product really isn't very good.

Aqua (Water) , Sorbitol , Glycerin , Dehydroxanthan Gum , Benzyl Alcohol , Lithium Magnesium Sodium Silicate , Fragrance , Limonene , Citronellol , Linalool , Acacia Senegal (Acacia Senegal Gum)
Ingredient Attributes: