frizz control

Ouidad Tress Effects Styling Gel

8.5 oz. | Styler

Product Rating: 3.67 Curls (Rated 4/5 based on 33 reviews) Login to add your review

Ouidad's Tress FX Lightweight Styling Gel keeps curls soft, defined, frizz-free and super smooth without weighing them down. Its protein and vitamin B-5 packed formula leaves curls shiny, manageable, Read More...

This product is amazing! It will work wonders for the look and feel of your curls! Get the whole experience with a Ouidad cut as well. If you live anywhere near Central Florida, please call us to get started on the Ouidad system and cut! Salon Ciseaux 407-865-5881

I am so disappointed in this product. It failed miserably. After several years of saying to myself, "I have to try Ouidad," I finally did. I got my hair cut at the Santa Monica salon but the stylists's nice work was horribly undermined by the absolutely terrible Ouidad products. Much to my surprise, I found out that the majority of Ouidad products are silicone/dimethicone (or other "cone") based -- and this one, Tress Effects, which is a thick gel, is mostly glycerin. When I tried to style my hair with it, I ended up with was a complete travesty. Imagine me dutifully doing the Ouidad signature "rake and shake" plus hand pinning dozens of finger curls on my head and then styling my hair for a special day out with my honey. As soon as we got to the beach, my curls fluffed up into a massive frizzy mess. My hair looked like one giant piece of cotton candy. Just a big fluffy beehive of cotton candy on my head. I was humiliated. The next morning, when I got up, my hair was as dry as straw and still one big frizzy puffball of spun sugar. There is something SERIOUSLY wrong here. Ouidad has a great presence on the market and obviously a great PR team behind them because the buzz is that they *know* curly hair. Well, I did get a decent cut there. Not spectacular, but something good and respectable. However, ALL of that is negated by their absolutely TERRIBLE and quite frankly, bullshit products. I shouldn't spend over an hour on my hair only to have it turn into a mass of cotton candy after I walk out the door. Everyone in the curly hair "world" knows that both glycerine is bad news for curly hair. WTF is Ouidad doing basing their entire line on these problem ingredients? It really doesn't matter how good of a haircut you have if the lame-ass products make you look like the Bride of Frankenstein. Tress Effects made me so humiliated - I was embarrassed to be seen in public.

I am always searching for the best product for my very long type 3b hair, and this is close to perfection. My hair does not react well to oily products, and this gel is lightweight yet strong. The curls stay beautiful and defined for at least two days and the unusual smell is a bonus. I gotta say in my opinion Ouidad really knows naturally curly hair. First of all, they know that just a "small dab" of gel in the palm of your hand won't do the trick (unlike most hair products companies or hairdressers) and they tell you on the packaging to use more. And I was also impressed by their detangler hairbrush, which is made from one piece of plastic and won't break after 1 month. I definitely recommand this gel for fine curly hair that does not respond well to oil.

This is a tried-and-true gel that I continually have in my stash. I use Ouidad Climate Control Gel regularly, but there are days when my hair just doesn't want to be "refreshed" and strong hold is needed. This gel provides a strong hold without being overly crunchy. I call it "crispy". It's tenacious, so "scrunching" takes more time than with ordinary gels. The thing is, once this is set and scrunched, my curls stay in shape for days, and this gel reactivates easily with just a little water. It gets much less crispy when reactivated than when it first sets on clean hair. Even though this has to be scrunched, it gives me excellent definition without bulky curls. I get lots of curls, and lots of bounce. This has a spicy, clove scent that smells wonderful in my hair. This is also excellent for keeping frizz away, but not as moisturizing as the Climate Control Gel.

I like this gel because it seems to provide more hold than the other ouidad gels. Use in combination with the setting spray for a good hold with out being crunchy

This is my favorite styling product! No crunch, lots of hold, no frizz, defined, well-formed curls!

I used this product in combination with Climate Control. You have to be very careful on the amount that you use, if you use the perfect amount your hair will somewhat hold. If you use too little or too much you will end up with frizzy lifeless hair. Its somewhat pricey and provides inconsistent results.

I recently tried this again, and really loved it. I've been using it in combo with Play Curl, and getting great results.

I mix one part of this with 2 parts Biolage Gelee for the perfect combo of hold, flexibility and shine. This product alone doesn't stand up to humidity which is where the Biolage comes in. The Biolage gets too crunchy and flaky alone on my 3a/3b curls.

This stuff isn't great when used alone; it gets too sticky. But with Climate Control - that's another story. They work well together. I wish I could give it a 2 1/2.

I meant 4 CURLS! Wish I didn't like this product so much because it is a pain in the _ss to order, and it isn't cheap, and I don't care for the smell. BUT- the curls it gives me (after saturating sopping wet hair with product and scrunching while blowdrying upside down) (I don't diffuse- gasp!) oh, the curls have complete strangers trying to touch my hair. Soft. Shiny. Also holds up (for me) leaving tousled defined curls on days 2-3.

This product did not enhance my curls. Would not recommend on black asian hair; makes my curls look oily and limp. It seems to work really well for my coworker who has 3B hair. I tried two different ouidad products and both gave me the same results. I ended up returning both products after a week.

I wish this gave more frizz control - curl definition is satisfactory, not sure I would buy again for the price

It started out very crispy, but after a while it was a bit better. I was really not impressed, for as much as it cost.

This is the second review for this product: I've found if I mix this with about 25% of the Climate Control Gel, it provides a bit more hold. It works best in the summer when there's some humidity to hold the curl.

Love it!! Excellent curl formation. Crunch goes away after running fingers through. Seals hair shaft, controlls frizz awesomely. I use it everyday. Bought the professional size. Super!!

Beautiful curl formation and tons of moisture, but no where near enough hold for me. Additionally, I think that my hair may have over-dosed on the protein in this product. However, many people use protein in their hair successfully, so don't let that dissuade you from buying it.

I thought this product was pure crap to be honest with you. I ordered this offline due to the rave reviews it recieved off of this website and was HIGHLY disappointed. It made my curls go limp within roughly a half hour to an hour. Had barely any hold and made my curls look completely lifeless even when combine with spray. Will NEVER use again.

This did not accentuate my curls at all, but my waves love it! I partially air dried and then diffused to finish. It left a soft hold, no crunch. If I want curls, then the Climate Control Gel is the better choice for me in the Ouidad line.

This is the only product I've had consistent good results with. Good hold and a bit of crunch which comes right out when I crunch after it dries. No matter what else I try I ALWAYS come back to this product.

Unfortunately this product did not make my hair look good. In fact, it made it a bit frizzy. Maybe there's a secret to how much you should use?

I like Tress F/X as a "replacement" for Climate Control when it is not too humid. Doesn't have as much hold as CC, but still a good gel that has performed well for me over time. Curls are very soft - no crunch. Less expensive than CC as well!

i use this when it is less humid out combined with some condish. good wave formation and clumping.

Along with Jessicurl's Rockin' Ringlets, this is my favorite product for curl formation. I rake it through wet hair and when it's dry, I get good curl formation with little or no frizz. It even holds up in high humidity. No negative effects over time, either. Woohoo!

Great product with great hold, have been using it for years.

this is good stuff! i've been using it just by itself and i've had really good hair days :)

my favorite gel by far! this stuff is great, especially cause it's alcohol free, so it's not drying for your curls.

This product made me break out like there was no tomorrow. Not for those who are sensitive to wheat germ oil.

This is my favorite gel. It gives great hold and good curl formation. It leaves crunch as it's drying, but once the hair is dry if you run your hands over your hair, the crunch is gone and you're left with soft bouncy curls. I have not had a problem with this in humidity, but I am not certain that I won't in the future. A great gel for the price.

I liked it. Good hold.

Shirley Temple curls. Major curl formation for my head. Didn't stand up to humidity too well, however.

Water, Glycerin, Polyquaternium-11, PEG-75 Lanolin, Polyquaternium-10, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil, Caramel, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Propylene Glycol, Pectin, Polysorbate 20, Benzalkonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Trisodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazo-linone, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate.
Ingredient Attributes: frizz control