no silicones

DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel

12 oz. & 32 oz. | Styler

Product Rating: 4.20 Curls (Rated 4/5 based on 30 reviews) Login to add your review

DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel is an ultra hold moisturizing and defining gel. Dissolves instantly when applied to wet hair and dries forming a moisture-protective cast to enhance curls.

Great for defining curls on my 3b/3c hair! Very moisturizing!

I bought this gel to try out and it did define the curl but it left my hair, for lack of a better word: dusty when it was fully dry. I used this as my wash and go gel. my hair felt dry and when fully dry and looked really dry and when I rubbed my hands through it dust flew out. not worth the price. I need a gel that has a lot of moisture.

I have tried so hard to love this gel, but it just doesn't hold up the way I would like it to. My hair doesn't stay frizz free all day and it takes FOREVER to dry. I think my hair just isn't crazy about glycerin and Deva products are loaded with it. I do use it occasionally but it's too tricky to work with.

I like this gel, but don't love it. I need additional moisture with it. I use it with DevaCurl Set it Free. It takes time to learn the balance with this product line, so allow time for you and your hair to get used to it, you will be glad you did. I had many bad hair days at first. I go through more gel than any of the other DevaCurl products, it is rather expensive. One Condition, Set it Free and No Poo last a long time so I can justify the price. I have been using Garnier Pure Clean Gel (less than half the price of Deva gels, bought because my salon was out of Deva Gel) it seems to work as well, I am not sure this is my "go to" product. I will try others before buying Deva Gel again. I may buy Garnier Pure Clean Gel again, it is much cheaper and works OK, but feels very slimy.

This gel did not moisturize, but it also did not dry my hair out. It does have a firm hold which i need for my short curls. At first i HATED it with a passion, but then i figured out how to use it. i followed what it told me to do, you cant touch your hair while drying or it will just be a big ball of frizz. this gel gave me a lot of definition and i like how it "dissolved" when i applied it to my wet hair, but it still left me with some frizz when used alone and i need a lot of it to have a firm hold. With the amount i need for this product to work correctly for me, it flakes.I also feel like i cant get 3 day hair with this.

One of the best products for my 3b hair. Nice curl definition, nice shine, and doesn't weigh my hair down. Frizz control could be a little better but did I mention it doesn't weigh my hair down? Overall a great find.

This is my favorite gel of Deva. I've tried the Light defining gel and DevaCare Arc AnGEL. This one just has the extra hold that my hair needs. My hair is thick, super coarse, tends to frizz, 2C/3A. I use KCKT and CHS CK and then this with a little Loreal EverCurl Cream Gel on top. I have been LOVING my curls! This one has that Deva signature scent that I LOVE. I just cannot get enough of it. Hahaha!

LOVE this gel. I used to use drugstore bought gel, which worked fine, but left my hair kinda flat and sometimes looked crunchy. After I use conditioner and a bit of mousse, i scrunch this into my hair and let it completely air dry. After I scrunch out my curls, they're super soft with lots of volume, and they stay moisturized and defined. It's the best I've found for my hair.

I love love love this gel!!! I normally use store bought gels that have unnatural ingredients and wonder why my hair looks odd. However, with the devacurl ultra defining gel, it makes my curls pop and does not dry my hair out!!! my hair is 4a so keeping moisture in my hair is a challenge. If your looking for a good smell and moisture this gel will do it.

This product is amazing! Using only DEVA for 30 days will transform your curls! They will be more defined and controlled..Getting a Deva cut really helps as well. If you live anywhere near Central Florida, please call us to get you started on the Deva system and cut! Salon Ciseaux 407-865-5881

I like this gel. It definitely has more hold than their other versions. I am still liking Kinky-Curly custard better for hold. I am working with this gel trying it out still. Not sure If I will repurchase or not. For reference my hair is very thick and pourous 3a-3b.

(3b/3c)This was defining, but had no strong hold and washed right out, which I like. If you like a strong hold feel this isn't for you, but if you like a soft hold this is perfect. I love this for summer because it's light and smell's AMAZING!

My hair had definition, but there was some frizz, and it lacked sheen/shine. A moisturizing leave-in prior to using this product is recommended if you have dry to very dry hair. Overall, this is a good #2, and it does last a while. Since trying this product, I've discovered other products that gave better results.

This is my go to gel. Great hold.

I love this gel! I get great curl definition whenever I use this product and its also more moisturizing than most of the gels that I have tried. I'm also in love the the gummy bear type of smell that the Deva products have, its amazing!! At first, I was a little put off by the hardness of the gel when its drying but as soon as I scrunch my hair, the cast it broken, and my hair always looks great! I would definitely recommend this product to others.

This is an awesome gel! I like it more than DevaCurl Angel (Lightweight Defining Gel). This has much better hold and is better at defining my waves, but is still lightweight and has the same amazing smell. I'm used to gels that have a bit more hold, but this keeps my hair in place without any annoying crunch, and it has a natural look and feel. I'm glad I got the 32 oz bottle :)

I love this gel. I scrunch it in my hair after applying my leave-in conditioner and it doesn't dry my hair out. It helps provide me with nice, soft, defined curls all day. The instructions are dead on. The smell is good. I would definitely repurchase because it's hard to find a good gel that doesn't get crunchy but that holds really well!

i cannot say how much i hat this product! other than the smell this product sucks!!! it desnt moisturize my hair as it claims it does, it leaves my hair very hard and crunchy and matted and frizz and make my hair look stringy this left my hair feeling very yucky and hard and i had to wash my hair twice to get my hair feeling back to normal! unluckily for me i bought the 32oz so i have to use it out but will definately not be repurchasing. this product is also expensive and not worth the money and still has harmful chemicals in it. this left my hair with no bounce

I wish I could have loved this gel, especially since it is lightweight and really does melt into your hair. However, these were the only good traits of this product. After gently scrunching the gel cast, my hair started to frizz in just a few minutes! On top of that, this gel caused major shrinkage on my 3b hair and no matter which way I applied this (use less, use more) it always made my hair come out the same: shrunken curls, poofy, and a frizz halo within minutes. Very disappointed with my first experience with DevaCurl, i'm very hesitant on trying any other products from this line in the future. Definitely not repurchasing this again, I expected much better hold and definition for the price of this gel. (note: I have thick 3b curly hair)

I like that this gel really does dissolve instantly like it says. I may have used a bit too much, but the result was a really well defined bantu knot-out. There was absolutely no flaking and my hair did feel a little wiry and dry but that was most likely due to the fact that I failed to use a better moisturizer underneath the gel.

it does a good job of defining my curls/ coils but it doesn't have enough hold for me. it smells great though

was using the light defining gel which i liked enough but decided to buy a travel size version of this to see the difference. i love this even better!!!! my hair is left defined, frizz free, soft & shiny. no crunch or stiffness like a lot of gels i tried. smells delightful too. very fresh and citrusy.

(3b/a, coarse, low porosity) I got a sample of this some time ago, but I hadn't tried it because I have a huge bottle of DevaCare ArcAngel, and I thought this one was just DevaCurl ArcAngel with a new name. When I read it's actually a new formulation I got curious, so when I had a free day to let my hair dry with gel in it, I tried the Ultra Gel. It is noticeably different from ArcAngel in comparison with DevaCARE ArcAngel. I haven't used DevaCURL ArcAngel in years, so I don't remember what caused me to prefer DevaCare ArcAngel over the "curl" one, and I don't know what's different about Ultra's ingredients. This new DevaCURL Ultra Defining Gel definitely has more hold than my Care ArcAngel, and it definitely controls frizz better! Like all of Deva's gels, it seems to melt immediately into my wet hair, but Ultra Defining Gel seems to have more slip. When I rake it through my hair I don't feel like I need to add more and more to get all the hair covered, because it spreads so easily. Ultra Defining Gel seems to dry faster than ArcAngel, but it could just be the time of year (it's very dry now). I rated this gel with 4 curls because, in my opinion, it's a very well formulated product that does a great job keeping frizz away and holding curls in place. However, being a "low-porosity" curlie with fairly coarse hair, I've learned that when protein is high up on a product's ingredients list, that product is for occasional use only. Regular use of lots of products with proteins dries the heck out of my hair and causes knots and breakage. When the weather is arid, glycerin can have a similar effect, so I have to be quite careful with Deva-gels and all their glycerin and protein. But that's just me, and I wrote this in case it may to help out others with low porosity hair. If you have normal-high porosity, this gel is wonderful for definition, hold, and frizz reduction, and I'd bet many people will "return" to using a gel because of this product.

ArcAngel used to dry out may hair but gave me decent hold if I used 2 palm-fulls. This gel on the other hand does not dry out my hair and still provides hold with 1 palm-full. My hair is waist length when wet and bra strap length when dry.I used Kinky Curly Knot Today underneath and 1 good palm-full for my entire hair when wet. The good thing about the Deva Curl line is that they offer travel size bottles that can be used for sampling. I purchase my travel sized bottle at Ulta. Go ahead and try it!

I used this for the first time this morning with my typical routine of CJ Smoothing Lotion and Curl Keeper. This is the best curl definition and non-crunchy hold I have had in a long time. The only reason I gave it four stars is that, before my hair dried, there was a white residue in my hair (not near the scalp and not in the consistency of dry scalp flakes). It was definitely the product, because it disappeared if I rubbed it between my fingers and after I diffused. I think I vaguely remember this happening to me before with Arc Angel, too, but this gel is hands down better than Arc Angel, in my opinion.

A great gel all around. Good definition, solid hold. I kept reaching for it and had to remind myself to test something else.

FINALLY! I have tried almost every product in the Deva line and everything seemed WAY too heavy for my fine, thin hair. I use No Poo, One Condition, B'Leave in and then this gel and my curls now look how I expected them to after I first started the Deva line back in April. My hair is soft and never crunchy. Even 2nd and 3rd day curls look good. I love it!

Until now, I've always mixed Devacurl AnGel with Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee to give the AnGel more hold. Now I don't have to! Really liked this gel a lot and IT'S ABOUT TIME Deva came out with a stronger hold. Arc AnGel didn't come close. I use the One Condition as a leave-in and then apply the gel, beautiful when dry and scrunched out. My new HG product!

Water (Aqua, Eau), VP/VA Copolymer, Glycerin, Polyquaternium-7, Polysorbate 20, Triticum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Aminomethyl Propanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Fragrance (Parfum).
Ingredient Attributes: no silicones