Textured hair expert Rebecca Mariolis answers all your hair questions
Dear Rebecca: I want to make my hair is as curly curly as Jada Pinkett Smith's hair. I used to have puffy, afro-like hair, but I got it permed and when I blow dry it, I want to try to make it curly. How do I do that and what products do I use to make that type of hair?
Dear Curls Wanted: Ok, I’m not sure what you mean by a perm. Did you receive a relaxer, or an actual permanent wave that makes hair curly? I’m assuming that you received a relaxer as many people still refer to a relaxer as a perm. So once you have removed the curl from your hair with a relaxer, it is permanently altered and straightened. The best way to achieve Jada’s natural curls would be with a flexi rod set. A flexi rod comes in many different sizes but I would recommend using the yellow flexi rod which is the same size as a drinking straw. Here’s my step-by-step recommendation:
- Shampoo and condition the hair.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner.
- While the hair is damp, apply a moisturizing cream gel like Design Essentials Natural Defining Creme Gel. This product has fantastic hold, and provides beautiful long-lasting sheen!
- Part the hair into four quadrants and take a 1-inch x 1-inch section. Comb the product through, ensuring saturation. Then wrap the hair around the flexi rod. Continue this throughout the hair until the entire head is covered with flexi rods.
- Finish by sitting under a hooded dryer until the hair is completely dry.
- Remove all the flexi rods, making sure that you remove them in the direction that keeps the curl in a ringlet formation.
- To really make your curls pop, finish your style by applying Design Essentials Daily Moisturizing Lotion, to separate and define each curl.
You will love your finished look. Good luck with your curly locks!!