With the right products and styling tips, waves, curls and kinks can look runway ready
When many people think about high fashion, they think of models strutting down the runway with their hair pulled back into tight chignons.
Australian-born stylist Rodney Cutler, Redken's Brand Ambassador, believes texture can be the ultimate glamorous accessory.
This season, Cutler says curlies can draw inspiration from the collections of such designers as Chris Benz, Luca Luca and Twinkle. In many cases, stylists had to go to extreme measures to create the texture that those with wavy and curly hair come by naturally.
Cutler believes those with waves, curls and kinks can easily achieve high-fashion, wearable looks with the right products and styling tips.
In January, Redken will unveil several new styling products for curly hair, including soft spin 05 curl-enhancing gel for fine hair, new and improved ringlet 07 curl perfecting lotion for medium hair and curl wise 14 curl defining cream for coarse hair. Rounding out Redken's curl line up is curl force 17 texturizing spray-gel for all hair types. Each product is designed to make it easy to achieve the most fashionable looks at home.
"I believe in embracing what you have, but taking it to the next level," Cutler says.
One of Cutler's favorite looks is a hippie-chic style with hair parted down in the middle, with the curls concentrated at the ends, while hair is flatter at the roots. This was a style seen at both the Twinkle and Chris Benz' Spring/Summer 2010 runway shows.
"The look is feminine, but also a little wild and edgy at the same time," Cutler says.
Another hot look that was seen at the Luca Luca show is hair that's "deconstructed," with a variety of textures. This may mean brushing out the curls for a less-defined look that is "not contrived," Cutler says.
"Some people may think deconstructed hair looks frizzy, but it has an airiness to it," he says.
"The key is to create dramatic looks that are touchable," Cutler says. "It's about using just a little bit of product to create texture, hold and separation."
Luca LucaPrep hair with Redken Extreme Shampoo and Conditioner
- Step 1 Apply Redken soft spin 05 curl-enhancing gel to towel-dried hair and diffuse.
- Step 2 Scrunch wool shake 08 gel-slush texturizer through out hair to achieve a disheveled texture.
Chris BenzPrep hair with Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo and Conditioner
- Step 1 Apply Redken ringlet 07 curl perfecting lotion to towel-dried hair and diffuse-dry, making sure to keep the volume on the ends
- Step 2 Apply Redken glass 01 smoothing serum throughout midshafts and ends to reduce frizz and add shine.
- Step 3 Finish with Redken quick dry 18 instant finishing spray for added all-day control.
TwinklePrep hair with Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo and Conditioner
- Step 1 Apply Redken curl wise 14 curl defining cream to towel-dried hair and diffuse-dry, making sure to keep the volume on the ends.
- Step 2 Set the midshafts and ends with a medium-size curling iron and mist Redken spray starch 15 versatile ironing spray on each section before curling.
- Step 3 Brush the set with a boar bristle brush and mist Redken curl force 17 texturizing spray-gel through the ends for added texture
Visit your Redken salonfor a customized Redken cocktail.