Dear Curly Suzy: For the past 3 years I have been wearing my curls rather than straightening them. I get many compliments on them from both friends and my husband. I am very interested in your curl products but don't know where to start. I am a little unusual so if I describe my hair could you recommend something?
Type: 2b (Learn more about Hair Types here)
My hair has wave when it is wet and holds it when it dries. As the day goes on, I can NOT touch it much because the curl drops. It also tends to frizz in the back of my crown so I use a curling iron to define it slightly. Do you have a product to eliminate this curling iron step and the frizz? Keep in mind that m hair is thick so it has to be thick. I like to use liquid gel as it distributes best. Also How do I use those duck type clips?
Dear Jane: I would say to add another product over the your gel or mix with your gel. Some like to use a leave-in conditioner. Others mix two different gels together. Another option is to mix a mousse with the gel or put it over the gel. Your styling products just need a little extra power.
This combination should help with frizz and holding the curl better through out the day. When the products are drying try really hard not to touch your hair. When the curls are dry gently scrunch out the glaze the products will leave. Be especially gently in the area where your curls lose their definition. A lot of Curlies like to use a pomade to scrunch out the crunch the products have when they dry. That will also help with with frizz. You can't use too much though or it will weigh down your curls.
The duckbill clips are used by some Curlies to avoid pyramid head. They lift the curls at the roots while your hair is drying. You open the clips and gently slide them sideways along to top of your scalp. You close the clip with the under layers of the curls in the clip. I use about 6 clips, some people use more. It takes a few times to get use to doing it. It is hard to explain, so if this is confusing please email me again and I will try to be more clear.
- AG Hair Cosmetics Mousse Gel
- Curlisto Bio Gel Mousse
- This is sort of like a leave-in conditioner, works best combined with a gel: Curlisto Structura Lotion
- A fantastic leave-in conditioner, works great with a mousse or a gel over it: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
- Combine with a mousse for best result: Curlisto Control I Gel
- A good strong gel and can be combined with a leave-in (Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper) or another gel (Curlisto Structura Lotion): Curlisto Control II Gel
- Another great gel, a lot of hold and can be combined with a leave-in (Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper) or another gel (Curlisto Structura Lotion): Batia & Aleeza Bio Herbal Mineral Sculpting Gel
- A totally new combination for you. These two products work really well together: Apply a lot of the Curl Keeper (a very unique leave-in conditioner) on very wet hair, it should make a squashy sound as you are putting it in your curls. Follow with the AG Recoil, use a dime size and apply in sections, you might need more but be careful it is very concentrated.
- Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper
- I love both of these for scrunching out the crunch:
- Curly Hair Solutions Tweek (more of a liquid, very very concentrated)
MOP Glisten High Shine Pomade