NC: Do you have any tips for women who are considering going natural or new curlies? KF:
- Growth: I have been growing my hair for 13 years! I have the Rapunzel complex until my emotional hair cut scars are healed! I have found that eating healthy, exercising (I run five days a week for 30 minutes), taking vitamins and using NATURAL products all help with hair growth. NOTE: traditional silicones can build-up and clog the follicle, leaving you with thinning hair that breaks more easily!
- Frizz: Traditional silicones work like a moisture block. Remember when we used to wax floors and would get that yellow gross build-up? Well, that happens with traditional silicones too. Get a good clarifier (I’m working on one!) and occasionally clean that off your scalp and hair. Silicones work like laminates and prevent your hair from getting the necessary moisture you need to reduce frizz!
- Styling: Apply gel to wet hair, by sections, scrunch, then do NOT touch it until it is 80% dry. Release the “set” the first time after it is 80% dry, then let it dry completely and scrunch and touch all you want. If you do NOT apply enough product and/or if you touch it before it has had enough time to set, it will frizz out on you. Voila! You are left with hair that is soft to the touch!
- Moisture: Leave in a good amount of conditioner. Your hair should feel slick, but you shouldn't have so much in your hair that it looks “milky” in your hand. Slick or slimy and clear on your hands. Once you balance the moisture in your hair, you will actually use less product. Lay off the heat! Sometimes this one is hard for me when I'm rushing to get out the door and don't want to leave with wet hair, so I will turn up the heat on my diffuser.
- Length: Do get the necessary trims to keep your ends looking and performing well! Silicone build-up is a huge issue for breakage. It took me a while to figure this one out. Heat stressed hair will also break more easily. Your hair is most fragile when its wet, so be gentle!
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/moptophair
www.moptophair.comNC: Where are your products available? KF: MopTopHair.com and CurlMart.com. You can also check out our site for local salons that carry our products.