Second day hair doesn’t depend on your type of hair, but how you try to get it.
Second day hair can be such a mysterious thing for us curlies. Some of us are able to achieve it, while others are not so lucky. And for those of us that can achieve it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t!
Fortunately, second day hair success really doesn’t depend on the type of curly hair that you have, but rather about the way you try to get it.
What Exactly is Second Day Hair?
And why do we want it?
Second day hair is essentially the process of getting your curly hair style to last two days rather than just one. This means that you are able to save time in the morning, or during your daily preparation routine, by skipping the shower and adding a few products that help prolong the style of your hair an extra twenty-four hours.
With the crazy, fast paced world that we live in, and the time that us curly girls already contribute to our hair, having this second day option is very important.
Ouidad gives her second day curly hair advice. »
What to Do Before Bed
The key to getting second day hair rests in what you do on the night of first day hair, and how you take care of it.
By this, I mean that it's time to take out your coveted satin pillowcases and silk scarves and start sleeping on them or wearing them to bed, every night! A satin pillowcase, unlike cotton ones, will prevent your hair from catching, pulling and breaking during the night. This will leave you waking up in the morning with well-tamed tresses and will greatly aid in the ease of your morning regimen to help you achieve second day hair.
In addition to sleeping on a satin pillowcase, you can also try pineappling your hair. This method is where you take different sections of your hair and separate them by tying them with scrunchies. After the separation is complete, wrap with a silk scarf and go to bed! (Hint: this method even works on short curly hair!)
My-Cherie dishes on the beauty of the silk scarf and your strands. »
Wear silk scarves everywhere and learn how to tie one! »
The Morning After
Getting the Most Out of Your Look
If you've woken up after spending the night on your satin pillowcase, then you're ready for a quick and productive morning routine. The morning after routine is a bit different for everyone because achieving second day hair is different for each hair type. The main ingredient for everyone, however, is moisture.
To keep second day locks moisturized and looking great, apply a small amount of oil (like coconut or rose oil), spray on a mix of water and gel and then apply a leave-in conditioner. Then, hands off! The more you touch your curls, the more they will frizz.
If your hair is already in a style, simply applying oil to the hair will combat fly-a-ways.
If Worse Comes to Worst
Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures
Everyone encounters those rushed mornings where nothing seems to be working and time is flying by. Here are some tips that can help you make if through those tough morning and come out looking fabulous!
- Use aloe as a refresher. Aloe vera gel is great for emphasizing wave pattern, reducing oily buildup if you have it, and for setting corn rows. Because aloe vera gel has so many uses, it spans the entire curl type spectrum, working just as well for a type 2A as for a type 4C. To use the gel, you can scrunch it in to your hair, apply it at the roots to soak up excess oil, or apply it directly to a set style.
- Dampen hair and reapply a sulfate-free conditioner. Leave-ins are great, but sometimes, the best cure for hair lacking moisture is regular conditioner, which can also be used as a leave in. Don't over apply the product though, and stick to only applying it to problem areas.
- Diffuse your curls. Your curls will form faster if you use a hair diffuser instead of letting them air dry. Length is an important factor as well. The diffuser works best on shorter bobs, or those with medium length.
Hard and Fast Tips
- Remember that the secret to second day hair revolves around one major factor: the overall health of your hair.
- Make sure that you are making healthy daily choices with your products, foods and lifestyle.
- Always, always keep those curls moisturized. Dry curls are your enemy, and will never give you second day hair.
Join the CurlTalk conversation and get or give advice about how to achieving the elusive second-day style!