How to sleep with your curly hair in a pineapple for gorgeous second-day curls.
- Bend over. Yes. All the way forward
- Gently gather hair like you’re making a ponytail on the top of your head.
- Secure with scrunchie/elastic. Scruchie recommended. I can use a scrunchie and not twist it around again, just slip it on. The looser the better. The intent is to have it as loose as possible (to avoid a dent in the morning) while still securing hair.
- Carefully straighten up. Hold the hair as you do so if it’s really loose.
- Separate ponytail so you have half on one side of your head, half on the other.
- (BONUS POINTS STEP) Add satin sleep cap.
- Remove Scrunchie after 8 hours REM sleep. Spritz w/ H2O/condish and add product if desired. Admire pretty 2nd day curls. Rinse and repeat.
You might like to clip the ends of your pineapple to your head, or instead of leaving a ponytail, don’t pull ends all the way through to make a loose bun thing.
The most important thing to remember about pineapple-ing is to not tie your scrunchie too tightly. A lot of volume in the morning is a plus but a ponytail bump is not. Just slip the scrunchie around the base of the high ponytail once right before you lay down for the night. It may slip a little but your hair should still be protected. Don't forget your satin pillowcase!
— Grace Currier, aka gncurrier, and Marni Foster