The horror of the earthquake in Haiti is unimaginable. If you're willing and able to help, please consult this comprehensive and reliable list, compiled by The Washington Post. The FBI also reminds us to be aware of scams and to contribute to know organizations directly (and to be aware of sites and/or people claiming to be from those organizations. Check URLs and info, carefully!
Oxfam has an emergency team in the capital, Port-au-Prince, responding with public health, water, and sanitation services. You can donate online through its Haiti Earthquake Response Fund or by calling 1-800-77-OXFAM.
Partners In Health is taking contributions for relief efforts in Haiti, including medical supplies. The organization has had a presence in Haiti for more than 20 years, working to address the health care needs of the country's poor.
You can donate to The Salvation Army's efforts in Haiti by calling 800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769) or visiting their Web site and designating that your donation is for the Haiti earthquake.
The UN World Food Programme is accepting donations. You can donate here.
National Nurses United has issued a call for nurse volunteers to provide assistance to those affected by the earthquake in Haiti.
The American Red Cross is in the capital and already assisting in the relief and food distribution efforts.
Other Reputable Relief Effort Organizations:
United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) Mercy Corps Save the Children World Vision Catholic Relief Services UNICEF International Medical Corps Network for Good CARE Operation USA Operation Blessing International Convoy of Hope The Global Syndicate GlobalGiving Beyond Borders Community Coalition for Haiti International Orthodox Christian Charities Baptist World Aid Doctors Without Borders Habitat for Humanity Action Against Hunger Direct Relief International B'nai B'rith International Bright Hope Hope for Haiti American Jewish World Service World Relief TractorShare American Friends Service Committee Food for the Poor CHF International The Lambi Fund of Haiti Islamic Relief USA, in coordination with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The State Department has set up a hotline for Americans to inquire after family in Haiti: 888-407-4747.
There are several ways to donate via mobile device:
- Text the word "Yele" to 501501 to donate $5 on behalf of the Yele Haiti Foundation, founded by Haitian musician Wyclef Jean.
- Text the word "Haiti" to 85944 to donate $5 on behalf of the Rescue Union Mission and MedCorp International.
- Text the word "Haiti" to 25383 to donate $5 on behalf of the Internal Rescue Committee.
- Text the word "Haiti" to 90999 to donate $10 on behalf of the American Red Cross.
- Text the word "Haiti" to 45678 (in Canada only) on behalf of the Salvation Army in Canada. You can also find updated information and general ways to help during disasters at ReliefWeb, USAID and InterAction.