The summer heat provides the perfect weather for lounging by the pool, but it can also wreak havoc on your curls. Hair is exposed to harsh elements during the summer months including chlorine, UV rays and salt water. Not to mention the fact that many girls with curls fear getting their curls wet more than anything.
“Summer can be a nightmare for those with curls, but with the right tips and products, you don’t have to fear water anymore,” says Michelle Breyer, president and co-founder of NaturallyCurly.com. “We are bringing together expert stylists to help curlies dive into summer — and the pool — and have the regimen they need to have beautiful waves, curls and kinks all summer long.”
NaturallyCurly.com, Ouidad, Hair Rules, SheaMoisture and Jane Carter have put together a list of tips for sensational, no-frizz waves, curls and kinks.
Professional No-Frizz Tips
- Ouidad Sun Shield
- SheaMoisture Raw Reconstructive Elixir
- Jane Carter Nourish & Shine
- Ouidad Water Works
- SheaMoisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo
- Ouidad Deep Treatment
- Jane Carter Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
- Hair Rules Quench Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
- Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave-In Conditioner
- Hair Rules Daily Cleansing Cream
- UV Protect Those Curls: Hair can’t get sunburned, but the elements do damage it. Use conditioners with UV inhibitors prior to sun exposure to protect those locks. To help protect it from damaging UV rays, spritz on a leave-in conditioner, such as Ouidad Sun Shield or SheaMoisture Raw Reconstructive Elixir. Also apply Jane Carter Nourish & Shine to seal the cuticle and reduce any damage that chlorine can cause.
- Bye-Bye Build Up: Chlorine from the pool dehydrates and creates build-up on the hair. Add a clarifying shampoo to your routine once a week to remove residue. Try Ouidad Water Works or SheaMoisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo to restore manageability.
- Be Sure to Keep Hair Moisturized: The more conditioner and moisturizing styling products you use to fill in the cracked, dry cuticle, the less frizz you’ll have. When out at the beach or poolside, slick your hair with Ouidad Deep Treatment or Jane Carter Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner. This way you’ll be using the sun to condition your hair instead of damaging it. Non-straight textures tend to have drier hair, so make sure to use a no-frizz deep conditioner weekly, such as Hair Rules Quench Conditioner. Then follow up with a leave-in conditioner treatment, such as Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Conditioning Milk or Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave-In Conditioner, which also adds shine, bounce and detangles your curls.
- Cut Down on Shampoo-ing: Don’t wash your hair every day; cleanse it twice a week at the most. Try rinsing and conditioning, or use a sulfate-free shampoo to keep hair fresh. A cream-based cleanser such as Hair Rules Daily Cleansing Cream will clean the scalp without stripping it of essential sebum.
- No Brushing: Remember, NEVER brush wet curly hair without first applying leave-in conditioner, as this prevents snapping or breakage.
- Download the Curls on the Go mobile app: The best no-frizz accessory for summer is the free app, Curls on the Go™. An intuitive and easy-to-use application, Curls on the Go™ features the Frizz Forecast™, product and salon finders with reviews, a hair type finder and hair style ideas, as well as photos and videos. You will also get recommendations for no-frizz hair products to keep your hair looking great, whatever the weather. Curls on the Go™ has been released for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and is compatible with iPad, and launches on Android today! To download the Curls On The Go™ app, search “Curls On The Go™” in Apple app store.
Missed the event?
Check out the NaturallyCurly.com New York City Pool Party recap. It's almost like being there!
Want more events and expert tips? Let us know about your curly dilemmas and we'll be sure to get to solving them ASAP!