Deep condition your hair once a week.
6. Don’t Apply Too Much Product Is your hair crunchy after styling? This could be the result of too much product in your hair, or perhaps the product you are using is too strong for your hair. If you think the product might be too strong, add a little bit of water to the product to dilute it. However, most of the time, crunch is the result of too much product. Depending on your hair’s thickness, the amount directed on the bottle is usually very accurate.
7. Wetter Hair is Better Many stylists recommend applying hair product when the hair is very wet. Hair product usually reacts better to wet hair because the hair soaks up the product. The actual process of drying is vital to hairstyling as well. If you apply product to very wet hair, with the aid of the product, your hair will dry as desired.
8. Air Dry the Hair With especially humid days, adding heat to your regimen can trigger frizz. Try air drying your hair more often than blasting it with a hair dryer. Your hair will thank you, and you will notice a difference over time in the way your hair dries. Natural air drying is usually the better way to go*.
*Tip: Contrary to the above message, heat is a healthy addition to your deep conditioning routine. Some curlies give their hair a blast of heat while deep conditioning so that the hair follicles open up and soak in all the moisture.
9. Have a Light Cocktail No, alcohol is not good for the hair. However, a curly cocktail is sometimes the best way to achieve the texture you are looking for. If a styling agent doesn’t hold your hair to your wishes, try stirring in a small amount of hairspray. Or perhaps if the same styling agent isn’t thick enough, you can experiment with it by adding pomade or a cream. Cocktails are a fun way to get the perfect hairstyle, and experienced curlies know that sometimes it takes more than one product to get the get perfect curls. If you don't want to try to figure out your own cocktail, check out our Curly Cocktails, where we've done the work for you!
10. Revive Your Curls To keep your curls bouncy and fresh, spray them with a leave-in conditioner or with water. Curls can sometimes experience a loss of life and bounce on the second or third day. Keep rocking your style by misting them back into life! A quick spray of leave-in conditioner or water will reactivate the product in your hair, reviving your curls in a matter of minutes.