This new super short trend can be simple if you follow these basic rules of good hair care.
With the rise of celebs like Anne Hathaway, Evan Rachel Wood and Willow Smith going into salons for drastic super short hair cuts, Butterfly Studio Salon stylist Harmonie Redman has some tips for those considering taking the plunge and chopping it all off.
According to Redman, any woman or girl who decides to chop their long locks for a pixie cut or even a short buzz cut is someone with extreme confidence. And for those of you considering going natural, or who are getting tired of the double textures and want to get rid of your transitioning locks, this is the perfect time to shed your longer, damaged hair and go for the Big Chop — and do it in style!
This new super short trend can be simple to style as long as you follow these basic rules of good hair care.
- Be sure to continue using the shampoo and conditioning regime prescribed by your stylist, or Curly Girl methods which involve co-washing and sulfate-free products. For dry or curly hair, try Shu Uemura's Moisture Velvet Shampoo. For oily hair, try the Kerastase Volumactive or Bain Age Recharge shampoos.
- Opt for a cut with texture such as a razor cut or disconnected layering to give a modern edge to your look and be sure that you find a stylist who knows who to work with your texture.
- When it comes to styling your new hair, have fun and experiment with mousse, wax and styling creams! I like to use the Shu Uemura Extreme Urushi for extra shine, hold and volume before styling with a blow dryer or letting it dry naturally. The Shu Uemura Yokan Craft Texturizing Melt is a great texturizer for finishing a short look.
- A day to night transformation could be as simple as adding a slick of gel and a side part to your already cute tousled daytime pixie, pair this look with some serious red lips and a killer pair of earrings for a sexy summer evening style.
- This is a great time to play with fun, trendy hair color since the commitment to your shade is minimal!
So, go for it girl! The time to experiment with short cuts and a Big Chop is now!