Revitalize your curls with this coconut oil and honey hair mask.
NaturallyCurly user kayleigh.lew used this recipe to nurse her damaged curls back to their bouncy selves:"After years of forcing my hair straight and a long illness that caused significant hair loss, my curls were in extraordinarily bad shape. I had not only altered the curl type/texture of my hair (I was a frizzy 2c at that point), but my color was looking dull and my hair felt like straw. I altered a recipe that was given to me and after using it just twice, my hair was back to the bouncy curls (3a/b) that I hadn't had for years!!! I recommend this to ANYONE with damaged hair/fuzzy, undefined curls. My mom (also a curlie) was absolutely AMAZED to see me with the curls I had as a little girl again!" - kayleigh.lew
What You'll Need:
- 3 tbs extra virgin coconut oil
- 1.5 tbs honey
- 2 egg yolks (optional if you need protein)
- A few drops essential oil (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan on low heat. Do not microwave if possible, as I have heard that the microwaves alter the bonds in coconut oil.
- Pour it into a bowl, add the honey, and mix. You may have to work at it, as the two don't easily mix. Add the essential oil at this point if you wish. The mask does not smell bad if you don't add any fragrance!
- Apply the (still hot) mixture to your wet hair from ends to roots.
- Put on a Hair Therapy Wrap, alternatively you can warm a towel in the microwave and wrap your hair in it
- Wait 45 minutes, or for damaged hair you can leave the treatment in overnight (just wear a shower cap)
This is how kwillsmom uses the oil after every wash, her hair has shown healthy growth since using her concoction!Have you tried this recipe before? Let us know if it worked for you.
For more curly mixology recipes, or to share your own favorite at-home treatments, go to our Recipes section.