Tauri's mane adventure: overcoming the fear of going natural.
Tauri's Tips for Transitioning to Natural Hair
Some of Law-Phillips' favorite look and Tigi Products Include:
- Stay away from heat! "If you must, protect your hair." Tauri admits that in the weeks before she did her big chop, she broke down and let a hair stylist hot comb her hair for a friend's wedding. "Big mistake! When I cut my hair, I had damage and ended up a bit shorter than I had hoped."
- Find fun natural styles. "I transitioned for nine months with mostly braids. When I needed a more polished look, I did a roller set or Bantu knot-outs."
- Involve everyone! "It was such a fun journey to learn about my hair. I dragged my co-workers, friends and family along with me. My blonde German fiancée learned so much. He saw me put braids in and helped me take them out," says Laws-Phillips.
One big advantage of involving people is that she rarely received mean spirited comments."In fact a co-worker and fellow natural did my big chop, and I never felt so loved as the day I debuted my two inches of curls to the ‘oohs’ and ‘ahhs’ of fellow co-workers. When presented with the story of an adult taking the journey into self-acceptance and awareness, I find everyone embraces you.”
- Do research. Look at different styles. What works for others may not work for you.
- Be gentle. Kinky hair can be fragile. "I have stopped over-detangling. One time in the shower is plenty!”
- Experiment with products. Find out what your hair likes. "Olive oil is too heavy for me, but I adore jojoba oil,” says Laws-Phillips.
- Water is your friend. "My hair is happiest when I co-wash one to two times per week and wash/condition and deep condition it weekly.”
Some of Laws-Phillips’ favorite look and Tigi products include:- For a super defined curly ‘fro, she mixes Catwalk Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier with Catwalk Curlesque Defining Serum She shingles the Curls Rock Amplifier through her hair and then when it's 75% dry, she goes over the ends with the serum, which she emulsifies between her hands. - For an everyday wash and go look, she applies Sleek Mystique Fast Fixx Style Prep in the shower and then sections her hair and applies a "gumball-sized amount" ofCatwalk Session Series Wet Look Gel. "Then I shake, shake, shake and put a t-shirt on my head to catch the drips while get ready. I can't tell you the joyous squeal I let out when I figured out that I didn't have to shingle to get definition, and I'm done in about three minutes." - For her "best twist and curl to date," she uses Catwalk Sleek Mystique Blow Out Balm to protect her hair and shorten the blow-dry time. "I do a modified chasing method using my Denman brush and blowing my hair lightly until it's 80 percent dry to stretch it." Then she uses S-Factor Spun Satin to define the twists.