Dear Curly Suzy: The sulfate and non-sulfate issue is confusing me. I am trying to start a shampoo free routine and I have no idea what the harsh sulfates are? Please help!
Dear Alice: Here is a handy dandy list of sulfate information to work from.
Harsh sulfates to avoid in cleansers:
- Sodium Laureth, Myreth, Lauryl Sulfate
- Ammonium Lauryl and Laureth Sulfate
- Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate
- TEA Lauryl Sulfate
- Sodium Alkylbenzene Sulfonate
- Ammonium or Sodium Xylenesulfonate
Gentler, very mild sulfates in cleansers:
- Sodium Cocyl Isethionate
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate
- Sodium Socoyl (or lauryl/lauroyl) Sarcosinate
- Ethyl PEG-15 Cocamine Sulfate
- Dioctyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate
- Sodium Lauryl Glucose Carboxylate
- Methyl Cocoyl or Lauryl Taurate - mild, derived from coconut fatty acids
- Sodium Cocoyl Glycinate
Thanks to our CurlChemist, Tonya McKay Becker, for help formulating these lists.