Coloring gray hair may be difficult, but it’s not impossible.
Caring for and Coloring Gray Hair
Whether you are between salon visits or starting to see a few grays pop up, products with temporary hair color can work wonders, thanks to foolproof application and a wide range of color choices. The following products conceal grays effectively and help maintain hair health.Read More: Celebrities with Gray Hair
- For Strays and Small Amounts of Gray. “For most people, gray hairs start sprouting around the temples and the hairline,” says Vasken Demirjian, a hair colorist and owner of Vasken Demirjian Salon in White Plains, New York. “Hair mascaras are great Band-Aids to hide grays in between colorings,” says Demirjian. Generation Klean’s Gray Disappear contains moisturizing vitamin E and panthenol and is free of parabens, sulfates and propylene glycol. Results last until your next shampoo.
- For Touch Ups. Colorists recommend Roux’s Tween-Time Touch Up Stick because “it’s an ideal temporary fix for your hair part,” says Giselle, a hair colorist at the Riccardo Maggiore Salonin New York City. This combination of paraffin and synthetic beeswax binds color to the hair and lasts until you wash it out. To apply, dampen the stick or apply straight to wet hair.
- For Lifeless Locks. Grays are more prone to dryness than pigmented hair. Hydration is key. To pre-empt parched, wiry strands, strengthen locks with Yarok's nourishing treatment serum. Massage a dropperful of the avocado, apricot, yarrow and orange blossom oil blend from scalp to strand before shampooing.
- For Large Sections of Gray Hair. You can cover a decent chunk of gray regrowth in seconds flat with Gray Away Root Concealer. The temporary color (available in four shades) comes in aerosol form and adjusts to you hair tone. It’s also sweat-proof and stays put until the next time you shampoo. Point the nozzle toward roots and move the can continuously for even coverage. Use on dry hair for best results.
- For Easy Maintenance. The TouchBack Plus line of color-depositing shampoos and conditioners help professional color go the distance. The wash-in tone adheres to roots and stray grays for up to three washes. Available in eight shades.
- An Easy DIY Option. Clairol Natural Instincts is a non-permanent, ammonia-free, hair color kit that helps blend away grays while adding more depth and dimension. “I recommend it to first timer DIYers." says Giselle. "It’s easy to do and lasts for up to 28 shampoos.” The ColorTreat conditioning treatment that's included contains panthenol and coconut oil to strengthen locks, giving them bounce and vitality.
- Another great option is to moisturize, protect and care for your gorgeous gray curls as they grow in. With the right treatment and without the harshness of constant coloring, your gray curls can be even more stunning than they were before! You won't even think of covering them up!