NaturallyCurly's editorial intern, Amanda talks about how she cares for her coily hair.
NaturallyCurly: Please introduce yourself!
Amanda Starghill: Greetings! I am Amanda Starghill and I am a junior at the University of Houston studying integrated communications.
NC: How and when did you start embracing your curls, or have you always enjoyed and embraced your curls?
AS: My last relaxer was in April 2010 and I did a big chop almost a year later in February 2011. I have been natural for 17 months.
NC: What is your current routine/regimen?
AS: My current regimen consists of moisturizing daily and detangling and deep conditioning weekly. Here are the products I use:
NC: So from start to finish, on a curly day, what's your process?
AS: I wear stretched styles 99 percent of the time for multiple reasons.
- They lessen the potential of single-strand knots (ssks)
- It decreases the wash time by 50% because my hair is less tangled
- I have more variety with stretched styles.
I hate wasting a good deep conditioner to release shed hair. That's good stuff going down the drain, you know? My wash process is as follows:
1. I section my hair with 4-5 duckbill clips
2. I apply detangler or co-wash conditioner and finger-detangle by section
3. I apply my deep conditioner
4. I sit under a hooded dryer for 15-30 minutes.
Read More: Real Texture Talk: Eileen Brody