NaturallyCurly's editorial intern, Amanda talks about how she cares for her coily hair.
Please introduce yourself!
Greetings! I am Amanda Starghill and I am a junior at the University of Houston studying integrated communications.
How and when did you start embracing your curls, or have you always enjoyed and embraced your curls?
My last relaxer was in April 2010 and I did a big chop almost a year later in February 2011. I have been natural for 17 months.
What is your current routine/regimen?
My current regimen consists of moisturizing daily and detangling and deep conditioning weekly. Here are the products I use:
So from start to finish, on a curly day, what's your process?
I wear stretched styles 99 percent of the time for multiple reasons.
- They lessen the potential of single-strand knots (ssks)
- It decreases the wash time by 50% because my hair is less tangled
- I have more variety with stretched styles.
I hate wasting a good deep conditioner to release shed hair. That's good stuff going down the drain, you know? My wash process is as follows:
1. I section my hair with 4-5 duckbill clips
2. I apply detangler or co-wash conditioner and finger-detangle by section
3. I apply my deep conditioner
4. I sit under a hooded dryer for 15-30 minutes.
Read More: Real Texture Talk: Eileen Brody