Tippi Shorter demonstrates from start to finish, how to safely straighten curly, coily hair.
As a naturally curly, coily girl, sometimes you want to try a straight style to change it up. It is important to have the right products and techniques to achieve a straight style with your curls. Getting a great-looking, straight hairstyle can be a challenge, however, because you need to protect your hair as you style it to avoid heat damage. Celebrity stylist Tippi Shorter demonstrates from start to finish, how to safely straighten curly, coily hair with Pantene products, a blow dryer and a flat iron. Here are some tips on how to achieve the look yourself:
- Wash and condition your hair with Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural Shampoo and Conditioner. Finger detangle by combing your fingers through your curls while the conditioner is still in your hair, then rinse.
- Guard your curly, coils by spraying them generously with Pantene Pro-V Normal-Thick Style Heat Protection & Shine Spray.
- Blow dry with a concentrator attachment and a detangling brush or use the tension method, holding sections of hair taut as you move the dryer over each section. Before you begin, divide the hair into at least four sections and secure three of them. Working with the each section separately will give you better control and keep you from going over the same area with heat more times than necessary.
- Section off your completely dried hair again for better control and flat iron in thin, small sections. Keep the flat iron on a low setting to start and increase the temperature later if necessary. Start at the root of each section, avoiding your scalp and clamp down with slight firmness, but not too tightly, and immediately ease the flat iron down the length of your hair at a steady pace. Don't move too quickly, but don't let the flat iron linger on the hair either. Keep it moving down the length of the hair the whole time.
- To get volume and body for this hairstyle, while flat ironing each section, start with the wrist holding the flat iron turned upward or outward (at the root of the hair) and slowly twist it till it faces downwards when you get to the end of the hair. This motion serves to create a curve in each section of hair so that the overall result is a bob if your hair is shorter than shoulder length.
Visit the Pantene Facebook page for more info on these curl-friendly products.
Pantene Pro-V How To's: Curly, Coily Hair
A Straight Style on Curly, Coily Hair
Products in this video:
- Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural Shampoo
- Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural Conditioner
- Pantene Pro-V Normal-Thick Style Heat Protection & Shine Spray
See more Videos
Get more tips and tricks for your curls, coils and waves on NaturallyCurly’s YouTube channel.