Like “A Clockwork Orange” and “2001: A Space Odyssey” before it, “The Hunger Games” is poised to become one of the great cinematic epics of our time when it opens March 23. And while fashion plays a key role, hungry trendsetters will also be clamoring to achieve the contemporary coifs sported throughout this futuristic love story.
“The Hunger Games is a unique film in the sense that it is very much like going to a runway show at New York Fashion Week," says Farouk Systems Creative Artist Danielle Bucco-Regazzi. "While it’s meant to entertain, it goes far beyond by being a style lexicon and inspiring women’s hairstyles for the coming season.”
One of those trends in particular works well for wavy hair, and is a go-to style many women want, but can’t figure out how to achieve: the fishtail braid. No worries, wavies, we got the down low on how to steal the sexy look.
- Start with dry hair. Apply a dime size amount of BioSilk Silk Therapy from mid-shaft to ends – MAKE SURE TO AVOID THE ROOTS!
- Taking large sections, curl the hair around the CHI Digital Orbit to create a beach curl. Apply a fingertip size amount of BioSilk Molding Silk from mid-shaft to ends to help create texture.
- Begin by gathering your hair to the side and dividing it into two sections. Do this instead of three sections, like you would for a regular braid.
- Hold both sections in one hand, separated by your pointer finger, and use your other hand to grab a small piece from the outside of one section.
- Pull the strands over to the other half, and then take a piece from the outside of that section and braid the opposite way. Imagine that you're doing a typical braid, except the moving pieces are tiny.
- To cover the band, you can wrap a small piece of hair around and bobby pin it.
And now you're ready to rock the runway!