View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 06:03 AM   #6
mpgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcurlyxbellax View Post
Hi everyone--I'm hoping some of you lovelies can help me out with this one.

I've been strictly CG for about 9 weeks now (I know, still new, haha). I really love the way that my normally coarse, tangly hair is soft, and much of my hair is starting to curl more. But I'm still trying to figure out products and whatnot. Here's my saga so far:

First my hair went limp, and when I researched my conditioners, I found that one of them was full of protein. Cutting that out, my hair was back to normal and getting curlier. But now the past few days have been blah. My hair's limp and soft. At first I thought it was overconditioned (which might still be the case, not sure), but now after searching through the boards here, I might think it's the stearalkonium chloride (yes, i copied and pasted that) in both my Vo5 conditioners. Now I love the smell and, better yet, I love the inexpensiveness of the Vo5s, but if my hair is just going to keep going limp like this, I don't think I can use it. Can anyone tell me a good cheap conditioner that doesn't have any stearalkonium chloride in it? I did a quick check through some of the vo5s and suaves ingredients lists, but I couldn't find any without that ingredient in it (unless i'm just not looking hard enough).

Just as a note, I'm going to pick up GVP Conditioning Balm from Sally's later on (I figure it's time to start experimenting with non-drugstore brands, hah), and the GVPCB doesn't have any stearalkonium chloride...but does that mean all of the cheaper conditioners do have that ingredient in it?

Sorry for the long post--I'm an English major, so it's habit to write a ton.
Stearalkonium chloride is used in many conditioners, cheap or not, for it's anti-static, surfactant and antimicrobial properties.

Why would your hair go limp from protein? Protein sensitivities usually make your hair immediately straw-like, hard and brittle, not limp. If you think you have a coarse texture, there is usually no doubt when you react to proteins. Limp hair is a symptom of over conditioning and or lack of protein.
Deva Low Poo
Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
Homemade FSG
KCCC
Curl Junkie Stuff
BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
-wabi-sabi

mpgirl is offline   Reply With Quote