View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #61
Amneris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaCoily View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amneris View Post
It seems that SOME people who like using the biracial or multiracial label or want their kids to use it say that they are using it to get away from racial thinking or to honour their parentage... but how so? How is it getting away from racial thinking to further break down or analyze who is half this or a quarter that? (and of course those who are considered "full Black", whatever that is, is on the bottom.) I don't like the "half and half" thinking because it implies that the "two halves" were pure to begin with, which they likely were not.
I don't know if you are referring to me, but since I am a parent who wishes her child to identify as what she is (biracial/African Polish-American/Black and Polish), rather than what someone wants her to be (Black or by some slim chance, White), you may be referring to me. In which case...

I've stated that I do not mind race in and of itself. It's is very obvious that there are is something different about me and my husband, besides our genders. It's when people place some value on it, as you seem to be doing, that causes the problem. I certainly do not put myself at the bottom of the race totem pole. But then, I do not think of it as a totem pole. To me, it's more of a rainbow or a spectrum. (And that's not meant to sound all kumbaya.) There is no better or worse, as they are all on the same plane, as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding purity, and this is not meant to be taken as a sign of some sort of superiority... As far as I know, the three to four generations above me are all Black. My husband's are all Polish. That makes us pretty close to "pure," and I'm sure there are lots of other folks who can claim the same, and maybe trace further. That doesn't make us any better or worse than my daughter, you, Tiger Woods, Barack Obama, or any other person. I'm sorry, but if I have a great great great great grand parent who is white, I'm not claiming biracial. That is just a bit too far removed.

I don't really buy into this idea that everyone is multiracial. It seems almost as bad as those who hold tight and fast to their purity as though it is some sort of badge of honor. Not only does it buy into the one drop rule, it sounds to me like a desperate attempt to make us all the "same," and simultaneously make some "not different." But, I am one of those people who celebrates our diversity. I love that there are different types of people in this world. I do not want a world where everyone is the same!
I wasn't referring to you specifically, or anyone in particular, but since you responded....

I am not "putting value" on different races. The fact is that society already does that, and yes, those of African descent are in a less advantageous position than others. In reality, racial differences are superficial and unimportant and it would be GREAT if we just saw them as a beautiful spectrum of diversity - if we saw all different cultures and varieties of persons as interesting. That's how it should be, I totally agree. But just looking at who is poor, and who is underemployed, and who is in jail, and who is dying, etc. etc. etc. we can see that that isn't really the way that it is in the real world. I don't think me being honest about this is "creating the problem" - it far pre-dated me.

I think accepting that we are all multiracial means we are all the same - we are all human - AND we are all different, since the way in which those races blend in each of us is different and special - we all have our own unique DNA, and yet it is all human DNA. I don't think I am extra-different or extra-unique because I can point to ancestors who were Asian, or African, or European.... but because I am me and I uniquely inherited those genes and made of them who I am, I AM different and unique... as are you... as is anyone... if that makes sense.

I understand that to you a white great great whatever makes you feel it is too removed to be biracial... but what if someone else doesn't and wants to claim biracial? Isn't that their choice as to how to identify? I don't like the idea that there are "rules" as to how biracial someone can be - how is that any better than the one-drop rule?

Amneris is offline   Reply With Quote