Me, too. I don't think any of us owe anyone else any explanations or justifications as to who we are or how we identify. We don't choose our parents so to me there's no point in being "proud" of their "races." I think there is a difference in celebrating the culture and heritage of all parts of your family and labelling yourself one way or another. If a person has a healthy sense of self, recognizes who they are etc. they can call themself whatever they want. My only issue is that labels come with certain baggage and assumptions, and this is why people don't need to have access to that information for situations like school or voting, and creating more labels only creates more baggage and assumptions.
Originally Posted by Amneris
do you think the bolded contradicts your choice of signature? and if not, why? i always took your signature as a symbol if racial pride, especially since it doesnt acknowledge a specific culture or heritage.
Originally Posted by subbrock
No... that's pride in MYSELF and how I choose to live... not in how my parents identify. Their identification isn't relevant to why I chose that sig. The sig isn't about racial "pride" (which I think is silly) - it's about standing your ground and not being who the world wants you to be.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali