I have some evidence of how that framework has played out in the examples of my three youngest siblings. They are Black and Italian, and they identify as such (sometimes biracial, sometimes African Italian-American). If someone tries to call them either one or the other, they correct them. They see it the way I do. And it's quite simple. Mom's black, dad's Italian. So they are Black Italians. If both parents were Italians, that's what they would be. If both were Black, that's what they would be. It's not really something that you can choose. You can deny, but that would not change what you really are. And, of course, it doesn't make for who you are.
Originally Posted by CocoaCoily
The experience of your younger siblings rings true for me and other bi and multi-cultural/racial people I know. The honoring part is in recognizing 2 parents who contributed to your genetics and raised you, in a world that can be very hostile towards miscegenation and interracial marriage. I, for one, am not going to give up claiming the identities of both parents just because of what may make others more comfortable or happy in their own skin and narrow world views. I am most concerned with how I live, my choices and their consequences.

I will acknowledge that one's appearance and how one is raced by others can have a very big impact on self-identification and maintaining a comfort zone with self-identification.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)