One of my best friends is half white, half black. When her hair was relaxed, everyone thought she was white. Her facial features, her body type--everything about her "looked white". Well, she went natural, and her hair is a 4b. A lot of our black sistas joke around with her, saying that she looks like a white girl with a 'fro, and that her hair is nappier than theirs!
Originally Posted by notyouraveragecurl
I think this is an interesting example because it shows the complexity of how people are raced. Everyone always refers to skin color and hair type and texture (which do play a big role in how someone is raced). But just as significant are facial features and body type, which have racial associations as well.

And the reality is that race-mixing will create a broader range or variety of looks that do tend to challenge or strain racial stereotyping (for example, how you classify Rashida Jones, Meg Tilly, Halle Berry's kid, Jessica Alba, Kristin Kruek, Rosario Dawson, Mariah Carey). In a sense, its harder to cling to the old racial classifications when increasingly so many people don't fit the mold.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)