okay how come white people don't get the white polish the white german the white italian, white american? you know what i mean??
Originally Posted by turtles
I'm not exactly sure, no. But I have known white people who strongly identify with a european heritage, so will proudly call themselves "irish", "italian" or "british" for example. If you are asking if there is a presumption that people from Europe are racially white, then, yes, there is that presumption. The opposite presumption is true of africans - if you learn someone is "south african" for example, would you automatically think they were of dutch or european africaanz descent? or would you think they were black? I think it does boil down to numeric majorities/minorities. It makes less sense in the US with all the diversity, especially as the population grows more and more non-white and also mixed.

But there are always exceptions. For example, the delicious Marcus Samuelson - swedish and raised by swedes but racially ethiopian.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)