But I notice that so often people who are highly attached to the "biracial" label are also highly attached to being Not Black, and will claim they or their kids "look white", which is often untrue, get upset and "correct" people who think they are Black, etc. I don't find that threatening, but I find it sad, and I don't think any of it moves us closer to ending racism or improving the state of affairs for people of colour. But, people have their reasons for doing what they want.
Originally Posted by Amneris
I can't speak to any of the unbolded part because I don't have kids, etc.. But I will speak to the bolded part because I see truth in it and some may characterize me in that way.

I've posted before and I will post again that the segment of the black community that insists that someone with two or more cultures AND races must call themselves black or else (1) be denying blackness, (2) be an uncle or aunt tom, (3) must be self hating, etc.. pretty much makes me want to run far and wide from that community. It's almost like a form of emotional blackmail that you can't be part or half black and claim the other side because it is "denying blackness." Every other group gets to be mixed and proud of it - asian/white, latino/asian, latino or native american/white, jewish/asian, etc.. etc... But if one of your parents is black, then that's the end of any recognition of a mixed background, including a mixed cultural heritage. And I do see it as enforcing the antebellum, slave era, one drop rule. And I reject it.

The issue of what a mixed person looks like (as an adult or child) raises a lot of separate issues as to how they will self-identify, which self-identification may change over time. I don't really feel like going into that. But I felt strongly enough about the above to post on this thread, which I also rated (1 star).
Originally Posted by love yourself first
I must be lucky, because I haven't really met many Black people with that mentality - maybe Caribbean people treat this differently? Most Black people I know know that they are mixed somewhere down the line, and they have no issue with anyone celebrating a mixed or multicultural heritage. I have almost always felt loved, accepted and embraced by the Black community, without having to deny anything about who I am or how my family is.

I don't see it as an either-or choice. You can be multiracial and be Black, and any other culture you want. I see myself as multiracial, Black and Latina, for example. I think if you WANT to call yourself white you can too, but in most cases white people and others won't accept this. I don't see why a person who is mixed with Polish and Black can't say they are Polish or Black Polish or whatever - if they have a Polish name, speak Polish, know Polish traditions etc. then they are Polish - since when do Poles have to be only white? I also think that IF more people classed as people of colour identified as white, it might take some of the privilege and exclusivity away from it. I also think in different settings, people can have different identities. In no way am I suggesting that anyone with some Black ancestry should be forced or guilted to ONLY call themself Black or not to acknowledge any other heritage. However, if they ONLY call themself biracial, I personally think they are just adding confusion and not unity. Just my opinion - I don't speak for all Black people.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali