View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #84
Amneris

Quote:
Originally Posted by love yourself first View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amneris View Post
However, if they ONLY call themself biracial, I personally think they are just adding confusion and not unity.
But, Amneris, for the self-identified biracial person with 1 black parent, the bi-racial self-identification NECESSARILY INCLUDES the black parent. That's a no brainer, and I can't see it as being confusing. I also don't see why that person has to say, "I am black, but also [insert the other parents race]." I know that race prejudice is virulent against black people and there is a lot of ugliness and wounds. But I don't think the answer to that ugliness and those wounds is to make every bi-racial person with black ancestry have to proclaim their blackness over other heritage/background and culture.

But we can certainly agree to disagree.
I guess what I am saying is that there are people who will say "I (or my child) am/is biracial, I am NOT BLACK. I don't look Black, I don't fit in in the Black community, it doesn't accept me."

I agree - if you are biracial, then that includes the Black parent.... so why is it a problem to say you are Black or for someone else to say you are? You ARE... and you are also white, or Asian, or whatever other ancestry you have. And you can also say you are those things. However, unlike Black people, THOSE groups are unlikely to accept you as belonging to them unless you offer a qualifier. You can still try but likely won't have success.

If you live in Latin America and you are "biracial" but look white, you CAN say you are white and have people accept that. It's all about perspective and where you are.

I don't think that mixed people should be "forced to proclaim their Blackness over every other culture." I don't believe that's what I said at all. All I said is that, while I respect peoples' rights to self-identification, I don't find the term "biracial" to have much meaning or accuracy as I see it. That is it. If you like the term, use it - no big deal! And I absolutely think people should acknowledge the full spectrum of who they are, but also acknowledge the realities of the society in which they live.

Amneris is offline   Reply With Quote