I agree - if you are biracial, then that includes the Black parent.... so why is it a problem to say you are Black or for someone else to say you are? You ARE... and you are also white, or Asian, or whatever other ancestry you have. And you can also say you are those things. However, unlike Black people, THOSE groups are unlikely to accept you as belonging to them unless you offer a qualifier. You can still try but likely won't have success.

If you live in Latin America and you are "biracial" but look white, you CAN say you are white and have people accept that. It's all about perspective and where you are.
Originally Posted by Amneris
I agree that a lot of it depends on what you look like, where you live, and who you know as to when and where you are accepted.

As for "the qualifier" in non-black communities, that "qualifier" is the black parent in terms of explaining how you fit in (which is consistent with claiming both parents in a bi-racial and bi-cultural identity). In my experience, it is easier to have both sides of my background seen and recognized in non-black communities where there is less pressure to "just be black" or "be black first." Other groups don't impose that kind of thinking which is actually rather freeing and nice.
Originally Posted by love yourself first
I agree that they don't... which to me shows why they don't fully accept me as "one of them."
Originally Posted by Amneris
I guess. The reality is that many mixed race people aren't fully "one of them" based on the mono-racial or mono-cultural communities of their parents. That's the beauty of being mixed and also the special bond that many mixed people (of many different backgrounds) have with each other. There is a hybridity and unique quality and life experiences that are best shared/related to by (1) siblings or (2) other mixed race people.

Also, not everyone who has black ancestry feels steeped in or even comfortable with black culture. Looking black and adopting black cultural norms are two different things - sometimes they coincide as in someone who "looks black" and "embraces black culture" or different mismatches of "looks mixed/embraces black culture" or "looks black/doesnt embrace black culture." Then, there is the option of "looks mixed/doesn't embrace black culture/ but recognizes both parents." Those variations and choices are real too.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)

Last edited by love yourself first; 08-07-2009 at 12:47 AM.