Old 08-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #97
FieryCurls

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbrock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryCurls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amneris View Post
Oh yes, of course there are people who don't have any Black (or white) roots who call themselves mixed. But the OP was talking about being mixed with Black, so that's what I was addressing. And truly, this is made out as FAR more of an issue in the Black community than elsewhere. And incidentally, I've yet to hear white people discussing whether a person who is "half white" is white or not - it's a given that they're not. This is much more an issue for people of colour and Blacks in particular.

I don't find a discussion of other countries to be hair-splitting, since the OP mentioned discussions with people from Africa and I myself have roots in the Caribbean.

And yeah, we're all speaking for ourselves, which is totally cool...
My daughter is certainly "half white". She has a white mother...she has to be "half white".

my SO would respond the exact same way. he'll fight you if you call her black. and we've had some arguments/discussions/conversations on whether or not she should just be called white. his "argument" is that she is half white, she has white skin, and white hair, and that society will not see her as only black, so why not call her white? basically the same argument that people have for calling biracial people only black. it seems totally irrational once the shoe is on the other foot....
I don't think she should be called just white or black because she isn't just white or black. It took 2 of us to make her.

FieryCurls is offline   Reply With Quote