I never, ever straightened mine. Never had a desire to! But I also didn't know until much later in life NOT to brush curly hair. My school years were pretty much one big afro. I don't remember being made fun of, but I did think that that was just the way my hair was and to accept it. Only later - when the Frizz Ease line came out - did I jump into the silicone pool and found out I had CURLS.

Stacy
Originally Posted by wookiemouse
This. I had no idea how I could get the tangles out WITHOUT brushing, and I think there was this mistaken idea that I could make my hair lie "flat" if I brushed it, thus making it more "straight."

Unlike you, I did have the desire to straighten my hair, only because I didn't really know what to do with it (luckily, I've never had a way with a blow dryer or flat iron). But I personally always found gorgeous, soft, boingy curls much more attractive than straight hair.

Nobody really made fun of me either, but certain family members did make it hard. I remember my mother yanking my hair out with a brush every morning and my dad telling me that I should wear it tied back all the time because it was too unruly.

I did fry my hair with a blow dryer almost every day for years, so by the time I was about 20, I had a ton of damage, split ends, brittle hair, etc. I still use a blow dryer with a diffuser, but I don't think I've had a split end in about six or seven years.

Curls rock!
Fine, porous 3a with some 3b...
Co-wash: Suave Tropicals Coconut Conditioner (with shampoo bars 2x a month) Rinse-out: L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Leave-in: Lustrasilk Styling: CK, Pink Boots, KCCC, AOMM, HESMU, BRHG, CJ Aloe Fix Gel Post-Styling: Apply product to wet hair, scrunch out water with Curls Like Us, diffuse for 5-7 minutes Treatments: Vatika coconut oil, Kama Brahmi oil