I really don't believe us yet to be in a liberated era, either...
Originally Posted by Amneris
I said "more liberated" in reference to the days of Malcolm X. This can't be denied with blacks in national office and in the judiciary in major positions of power in the US (setting aside world figures like Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu).

And all those images of american black people and black people in other countries weeping at the sight of President Barack Obama being sworn in to lead this country? (after it had been run into the ground for 8 incredibly long years). I beg to differ that we are not in a "more liberated" time and place than when Malcolm X was alive. It's just not true.

That President Obama has biological parents who are white and black ties him in a sense to this thread. Yet, he is black-identified with an african-american spouse and mostly black children by way of genetics. Those are his choices, which I respect. But not everyone of his background would make the same choices of self-identification and spouse (I think his own extended family may demonstrate this). And that diversity of choice is and should be fine too.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)