So, as I have found myself being able to tolerate more and more protein this summer, I wondered if I could take some keratin in my regular routine.

I have the Sally's version of the K-Pak reconstructor. But, I like to keep my mineral oil usage as low as possible.

Joico has a regular K-Pak conditioner, and I tried out the airline carry-on size and liked it. Then I used the regular bottle, and I still like it. So today, I bought the jumbo bottle.

Here are the ingredients:

Deionized water (aqua), stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, cetyl alcohol, glycol stearate, ceteth-2, cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, hydrolyzed human hair keratin (quadramine complex), laurdimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed human hair keratin, hydrolyzed keratin PG-propyl methylsilanediol, thioctic acid, psidium guava fruit extract, sodium ascorbyl phosphate, tocopherol acetate, oenothera biennis (evening primrose) oil, aleurties moluccana (kukui) seed oil, glycolipids, allantoin, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, benzophenone-4, hyaluronic acid, cetrimonium bromide, disodium edta, PEG-20 almond glycerides, sodium chloride, myristyl myristate, citric acid, glyceryl stearate, fragrance (parfum), sorbic acid, keratin amino acids, PEG/PPG-20/23 dimethicone, glycerin, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, methylparaben, polyparaben

The bolded are silicones.

Here are what some of the other things do in case anyone asks

stearamidopropyl dimethylamine - conditioning. This link talks about how it maybe chosen because it does not build up the way polyquats can.

glycol stearate - produces a pearly effect

ceteth-2 - emollient, conditioning agent, emulsifier

ceteareth-20 - emulsifier

butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane - aka avobenzone - sunscreen

I usually avoid myristyls and glycerin. But, they seem to be low enough down to not bother me at present.

I have been using this stuff all summer to an increasing degree and now am using it just about every time I condition. I have not been having buildup issues from the two cones. The one is PEG/PPG modified, so I know it won't be a problem. I'm not sure of the status of the keratin 'cone. I use Kinky Curly Come Clean twice a month.

I am really enjoying the sleek feel and the curl perk I've been getting with this conditioner. My hair does seem to respond really well to keratin. I have had no curl droop at all with this.

Now I wonder if I need to call my hair medium instead of medium coarse, lol.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Last edited by redcelticcurls; 09-06-2009 at 05:48 PM.