In 1988 I entered every way I could but no luck. I did not get in to the torch relay. My family laughed and said 'you couldn't run a mile if you tried." I remember thinking 'oh yeah' and I went out one day and tried to run a mile. Well they were right!!!

So along comes the 2010 torch relay and I started to enter the first day you could! I entered through RBC (royal bank) and icoke. I entered every draw I saw. Hundreds of thousands of people entered through coke. Of those 6760 were chosen to enter the second level. I won the lottery and had to write an essay (200 - 220 words) about how I lived a healthy lifestyle and inspired others to do so. Well my story talked about how I never saw myself as an athlete until I battled a long illness. After that I developed an "I can" attitude and started to try things I had considered impossible. The result is I have now run 3 half marathons and climbed Mt Kilimanjaro. I wanted this torch spot so bad - it was like redemption. What I could not do in 1988 I CAN do now!

Only 10% of essays got a spot - 676 (or was it 674?) and I was ONE OF THEM! I think you could hear me shout all across Canada when I got the email saying I was a torchbearer.

I now have my OTR track suit ready to go and will be keeping my torch. I run on Sunday December 13 in Arnprior ON about 2 hours from where I actually live.

I can't wait! Sadly the touque is required so my curls will be hidden