I think you are supposed to push the claw up under your hair, like you were "fluffing" it from beneath as illustrated in the CG book (or like if you put your hand under your hair and push your fingers up into it), then hold it still for a while. Then it would act like clipping in the sense that it is lifting your hair at the roots, and presumably dry your hair faster because of the "360" drying and the fact that the hair was lifted and easier to aerate. Then I would think you just move slowly around your head, repositioning the "claw" and drying in sections.

Does this seem to work in practice or am I off base here? I want the darn thing because I think this would help speed my drying time and boost my curl and volume by helping free the bottom layers from being weighed down by the canopy.

Maybe it would be better if you said it didn't work well this way--then I wouldn't be tempted to spend $185 on a dryer...
2b/2c/3a
Back on CG (OK, I'm a little indecisive).
pw: curls
Currently using: Whole Foods 365 Herbal Mint Conditioner (co-wash), MOP Mixed Greens Conditioner, Paul Mitchell Lite Detangler, CK, ISO Bouncy Creme. Gave up on plopping due to tangles/"stickiness" and now I just comb through products and diffuse. It looks basically as good and dries a lot faster (I wasn't getting good clumps from plopping anyway). Still wish I were a lot curlier!