Although it seems you've already made your choice, I decided to post again for the benefit of other "newbies" who wish to start out right. The following point is extremely important for succeeding at CG:

Despite all you may have heard, cheap COs like Suave & VO5 ARE NOT TRULY CG COMPATIBLE!!! Some people get lucky and have no problems but there are many variables to consider for that to happen and they include the type water you use, oiliness of scalp, type of hair/curl and whether hair is reasonably healthy or not.

The CG book outlines what to look for in a CO but the only thing most people remember is "to avoid 'cones", however, there's much more to choosing a good CO than that. None of those cheap COs contain oils and even thought the book doesn't directly say so essential oils are very helpful as many have cleansing and conditioning properties. That's why DevaCurl, DevaCare (of course!) and Jessicurl are among the best for CG, they contain those ingredients. I have said it here many times but I'll repeat it again: essential oils can help break down residue from some 'cones AND plastic resins present in styling products!

Suave COs specifically are waxy, which can make detangling difficult and cause build up, particularly where the water is harder. I started out with Suave (because I had 2 or 3 at home) and my results went from disappointing to downright horrid. I turned back to the book for help and realized I'd ignored the above basic guidelines in choosing a good CO. So I ran and purchased a bottle of Avalon Organics Lavender (which had 4 essential oils and jojoba oil) and the difference was as from night to day. I was lucky enough to find an inexpensive cholesterol treatment containing essential oils of tea tree and peppermint and 3 vegetable oils and I used it for washing saving the Avalon just for conditioning. Even though I tried and liked flaxseed gel I really didn't even need a gel to have well-defined, glossy, frizz-free curls (on colored hair) so for about a year those two COs and an oil moisturizer were all the products I used.

For those who don't know me, I first came to NC.com in April of '02 and was a regular until Dec. '04 and during that time witnessed how dozens of curlies turned their disappointment to success by switching COs. You won't hear from them because most of them never returned here once they achieved "hair bliss", only a few stayed to try to help newcomers.

So again, if the routine isn't working, take a look at your products, if they aren't right the routine CAN'T work right.
2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC