Old 01-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #28
MixedUpCurlyChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy*Me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedUpCurlyChick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy*Me View Post
4b and cNapp texture is one in the same. I have no idea what 4c is.
Oh...well that was what this thread was about! I thought you were explaining 4c. Sorry for the confusion lol.
I realize that. However, the very first line in KinkyRhonnie's post states that 4c is cNapp hair and that is incorrect. That's why I posted...to explain that cNapp and 4B hair are one in the same. the "c" in "cNapp" has nothing to do with 4c hair.

With regard to 4c --- guess some folks feel the need to define their hair as kinkier than 4B but the well known hair types 1 thru 4b were designated by Andre (whatever his last name is) Oprah's hairdresser. And those are the designators that many of us online go by. Now suddenly this 4C designation has cropped up independant of the original Andre scale, and I've seen NO consistent definition of what this is by anyone. So as far as I'm concerned 4C will remain OFF my radar it doesn't exist. I mean come on...do we really need ANOTHER hair type?

Eh...but what do I know? This is where I typically bow out of hair typing conversations cause you can't please everyone since hardly anyone's hair fits into a nice neat package.

Personally, I'm happy just being a 4b/cNapp; it works for me.
lol I hear you. I personally don't feel like we need any more categories. I tend to think people identifying as 4C may just have 4B (as far as the original definition) hair that looks/behaves a different way from other 4Bs they have seen. It can get confusing between (texture) manipulation, having more or less shine or sheen, porosity, texture etc. But I was curious to hear more about this 4C I see floating around the boards. I don't think we need another category but I'd be interested to hear a self identified 4C's explanataion of what it is. Good topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikisf View Post
Whoops I thought 4c was the same as cnapp. So I guess I should change my signature. Honestly, when I see some of the photos of what some posters think is 4b hair, it looks like my hair after a texturizer.

Even when I go to an African salon once my already thick hair is wet and starts getting really tangled and nappy they say, "I'll give you the price I quoted this time but next time..."
Keep in mind that people do all kinds of things to their hair and some of the 4Bs you see may be manipulating their texture to make it hang more or have more/less curl. There are so many things that affect the look of the hair. Also, IMO most hairdressers really don't know how to do 3c hair. Even less know how to do type 4 of any kind. So when they act like they should be overcharging you, I think that reflects more on their lack of training/skill than the alleged manageability of your hair. Just my 2 cents!