Tendrilly:

Read what I wrote. Hudak isn't a just a supporteróBrown endorsed his campaign. Hudak is well-known for his racist beliefs. So...? What you wrote doesn't really make sense.

I think anyone who tries to exert control over a woman's body is a sexist...don't make assumptions about things I never explicitly stated. Believe me, a lot of Democrats have sold women up the river on this issue, especially recently...because reproductive rights are dispensable, apparently. It sickens me. But Republicans are typically worse in this regardóTed Kennedy never supported parental consent laws and waiting periods. There's more than one issue at stake here, yeah? (By the way, wow, thanks for cherry picking!) And it's obvious to me, based on how Brown voted on those peripheral issues (including stem cell research, partial birth abortion, etc.), that he is only pro-choice because it is politically expedient in MA.

As for your comments regarding the LGBTQ community...um, ENDA is about making sure that homosexuals aren't discriminated against by employers. LGBTQ individuals are far more likely to be discriminated against than your average Joe, which means they require extra protections in order to have "equal" protections under the law. How could you not see this?

If anyone is guilty of stereotyping and making generalizations it's you, accusing me of throwing out words like racist, sexist and homophobe indiscriminately when I've obviously thought about whether Brown really deserves those titles. Sorry we disagree on what racists, sexists and homophobes are, but I'd love to hear your definitions. Do you agree with your Republican ilk that President Obama is a racist, for example?
Originally Posted by mandatoryfun
Hi Mandatoryfun, wow -- I am sorry that you feel the need to use such a combative tone in your posts. I did not intend anything I said to be a personal attack. I apologize that I didn't specify that I was talking about the whole thread, and political dialogue in the U.S. in general, when I said that conservatives tend to be called racists, bigots, knuckledraggers, etc. I did not mean that towards you specifically.

So, about the Hudak issue, don't you think that if there were anything substantive there, that MA Dems, the Coakley campaign, and the Boston Globe would have made that a central issue? That they would have pounded Brown with it? I can only conclude that this is a case where there's no *there* there, as they say. Believe me, if someone can be proven a racist, their political career is over -- as it should be.

About abortion -- obviously, you will never convince me and I will never convince you. Using your definition of 'sexist' would make millions of women sexists, too, which seems pretty silly. I wasn't 'cherry picking' when I told of how Ted Kennedy supported conscience clauses. That was simply the issue in Brown's amendment. Let me add this: Whether we like it or not, we women were given the ovaries, the uterus, and the breasts, and we get to have the babies if we are engaging in sexual intercourse without effective birth control. Does it seem unfair at times? Sure. But motherhood is also the most rewarding part of many women's lives, so it's a two-sided coin.

But anyway... Abortion has hurt a lot of women since they carry that pain and regret with them for the rest of their lives. I have heard the stories.

Another tragic and unfortunate thing about abortion is that a large number, maybe even the majority, of babies who are aborted are black babies. (I can't remember the stats -- they are pretty shocking.) Some of the early supporters of abortion were eugenicists -- think Margaret Sanger who started the "Negro Project" in 1939 which was designed to cut down on the numbers of black children being born -- since she believed "that portion of the population (is) the least intelligent and fit." That is clearly racist. She is a hero on the left, by the way, the founder of the organization that later became Planned Parenthood.

Parental consent laws help protect young girls whose unsavory boyfriends (some of which are 18 and over, therefore are rapists) pressure the girls into abortions. In the horrific case of a father raping his daughter and impregnating her, my understanding is that there is an exemption for that. As there should be, obviously.

Waiting periods: For such a huge decision that the woman will have to live with for years, it only makes sense not to have 'drive-thru' abortions, in my opinion.

About discrimination, I don't believe that gay people should be discriminated against in the workplace any more than you do. The difference we have is: how to address problems legally when they occur?

No, I do not believe that Obama is a racist. I do hope that he will do more, though, to use his example of being married to Michelle, and being a father to his daughters, to help the black community. What a powerful example he is of that! And I'd like to see him use his connection with the black community to be a powerful force for good in encouraging marriage, fathers taking responsibility, and stable family units.

Again, you and I are both informed citizens and we just disagree -- it's not that I don't understand something. Being able to disagree is one of the great things about America. This will be my last post in this thread since it's gotta end at some point!
Dry climate
2C/3A, fine texture, high porosity, medium-low density

For me, desert climate+porous hair+CG=inconsistent results!