As someone who is on week 17 of bedrest with my second pregnancy, I beg to differ that bedrest does not have an impact. I was on bedrest for 12 weeks with my first as well and delivered her at 39 weeks. I will be 36 weeks tomorrow and believe that without this intervention I would have lost my baby (even after having a rescue cerclage placed).

Now, every situation is different....each & every one. But, not all medical intervention is bad. Not all women are attention seeking in this realm (your sister might be, I don't know her). If you're faced with potentially losing your baby, you'll think LONG & HARD about your options and would do most anything to ensure their safe arrival. Does that mean you go into the process ignorant and not try to educate yourself - heck no. But if a woman trusts her doctor (which she should!) then that's what matters.
Originally Posted by kimberly j
I don't think anyone on here would say that "all medical intervention is bad." But when used inappropriately, medical interventions can and do cause harm to mothers and their babies. There is a lot of evidence to back this up. Yes, women should be able to trust their doctors but the sad truth is that a lot--a LOT--of doctors don't practice evidence-based medicine and have to balance the medical needs of their clients with protecting themselves from malpractice, which often means that the patient's needs may come second.

Pixie, I hope things turn out well for your sister and her child.