As someone who is on week 17 of bedrest with my second pregnancy, I beg to differ that bedrest does not have an impact. I was on bedrest for 12 weeks with my first as well and delivered her at 39 weeks. I will be 36 weeks tomorrow and believe that without this intervention I would have lost my baby (even after having a rescue cerclage placed).

Now, every situation is different....each & every one. But, not all medical intervention is bad. Not all women are attention seeking in this realm (your sister might be, I don't know her). If you're faced with potentially losing your baby, you'll think LONG & HARD about your options and would do most anything to ensure their safe arrival. Does that mean you go into the process ignorant and not try to educate yourself - heck no. But if a woman trusts her doctor (which she should!) then that's what matters.
Originally Posted by kimberly j
I don't think anyone on here would say that "all medical intervention is bad." But when used inappropriately, medical interventions can and do cause harm to mothers and their babies. There is a lot of evidence to back this up. Yes, women should be able to trust their doctors but the sad truth is that a lot--a LOT--of doctors don't practice evidence-based medicine and have to balance the medical needs of their clients with protecting themselves from malpractice, which often means that the patient's needs may come second.

Pixie, I hope things turn out well for your sister and her child.
Originally Posted by iris427
Sure, there are doctors who aren't putting the needs of their patients first, which leads to horrible outcomes at times, I totally agree with that. Medical care is about protecting yourself and educating yourself, but if you don't have a physician that is trustworthy of providing sound care then you absolutely should seek alternate care.

Aside from that, Pixie's sister needs to educate herself on the diagnosis she's been given and only she can determine if the recommended course of treatment of bedrest is necessary for her. Having the support of family and friends, as Pixie is providing, is crucial and she's lucky to have a sister that is concerned.