mandatoryfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancnw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart-of-dixie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancnw View Post
Pretty much sucked. Yours?

I feel the same way. Hope things do improve.
Me too, but the way things are going, I'm not sure I can deal with any more 'hope-y change-y.

Healthcare. Why is it necessary to completely redo an entire industry that is 1/6th of our economy? Why not concentrate on the things that need to be done? Tort reform would be a great idea for starters. After the backroom deals, the slammed shut doors on it, it needs to be completely scrapped. And the outright bribery? Cornhuskers deal and the New La. Purchase? Please. Supertax on 'cadillac' policies unless you are a union member? Scrap the whole thing. All Congress exempt from it? Please.
It is absolutely necessary to redo health care because it takes up 1/6 of our economy. It's not like our health care industry is a driving force in our economy...it's a bloated, inefficient drain.

It's important to look at things from a macro perspective. Tort reform would lower national health care costs by half of a percentage point. That's good, and all, but it's probably not going to help much when it's 2035 and health care costs are 31 percent of our GDP.

So, no, it would not be a great idea for starters...even though Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin and Betsy McCaughey tell you so. Better ideas? Dumping the fee-for-service system, putting doctors on a salary. Using tax dollars to pay their way through medical school so that they can survive on said salary (even as GPs). Insuring everyone so that preventative care can be used to treat diseases early and inexpensively. Repealing the health insurance industry's anti-trust exemption clause. And, in order to ensure that free market competition is widespread, aggressive and sustained, creating a universal national health insurance exchange that includes a public option amongst other private options.

In terms of "things that need to be done," those would all probably be good places to start. Dems even addressed some of them. If your Senators and representatives and commentators (and maybe you, yourself) pulled their heads out of the sand and put them into a newspaper, book or medical journal, they'd probably realize that. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but don't get mad at Obama just because you don't understand economics.