I wonder why that logic towards African American's isn't applied to every ethnicity?
Originally Posted by Amandacurls
It's because of "one drop" laws that said that if you were "one drop" Black, you were legally (and socially) Black.

Black people often think that I'm biracial Black/White. In contrast, other people consistently believe that I'm Latina, Middle Eastern, or Mediterranean--never biracial or of Black African heritage. (I get a lot of comments about my ethnicity from people who are either sure that they know what my ancestry is, or think that I look "exotic.") It's interesting to read people's thoughts on being identified by others as biracial.

I would think of the young man with the 'fro in that photo as biracial Black/White, rather than either Black or White.
Originally Posted by Eilonwy
I know this is a really old post, but this happens to me too, with one difference. Black people almost never realize that I am part Black and they are almost always surprised when I tell them. Greek, Puerto Rican, or Middle Eastern are the most common guesses I hear. I suppose it doesn't help that I have an obviously Greek name as well, though there is no Greek in me at all. lol
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden