I agree with someone who said earlier that the problem isn't with the 4bs not being 4b, it's that many people that are 4a identify themselves as 4b. When you look at the official description from the Andre Walker, 4b has no defined curl pattern. It frustrates me to see people with coils, even though they are tight, refer themselves to 4b. 4b hair won't coil, curl, nada. And that's what type I have. I sometimes joke and say I'm a 4z or even a type 5. But I feel I have to do that because too many of the people that say they are 4b really aren't. I don't think the curl pattern system is great or all-inclusive. And it can have the potential to cause division. But I think people just want to find others with hair like them so they can take the best care of their hair. Guess I'll just call myself a cNapp from now on...
Originally Posted by MissLeggz
Exactly! I know I said I was going to bow out, but since my blog keeps getting hits from this thread, I pop over here from time to time to see the conversation. Anyhoo, I really have to agree with this post. I've seen people say they're a 4B because of the size of their curl. Huh? If you're a 4B, by virtue of Andre's definition, then you DON'T HAVE A CURL PATTERN! You don't have a wave pattern that shows itself off either. Honestly, I just don't know why this is soooooo hard to understand.

That's why I usually tell people they either get it or they don't when I have to repeatedly explain what cNapp/4b hair is. People with cNapp/4b hair usually KNOW they have it. It's the hair that usually no one wants. It's the hair that if you have it, once people (family, friends etc) see it, they'll tell you you're too nappy to be natural. Some 4A textures can micmic cNapp hair when it's picked out all the way, but the fact that it does have naturally have visible clumpy coils when you want to make them "pop" is always more desireable than hair that does not. That's what society, by and large, values most and so us cNapps/4Bs can really be left with feelings of inadequacy when it comes to our texture of hair. Now that's not to negate the struggles that people with other nappy textures go through and experience, but to highlight what makes the 4B journey a tad bit unique.

Boy... I won't lie. I would love to have some natural clumpy coils like Poohbear or Whitley Gilbert or ms-gg. But I don't. I can't put anything on my hair to make my curls "pop" cause there's no product out there that's going to create what I don't naturally have. So I don't dwell on it...at all. I just work with what I got and quite frankly, I think I do a darned good job of it with my hair if I might say so myself.

At the end of the day though, I think most anyone with a type 4 texture can have very similar experiences and struggles once their decision to be natural has been made.

Last edited by Nappy*Me; 02-08-2010 at 09:11 AM.