So I did some experimenting this week with 4 of the Lustrasilk conditioners. It's been fun! I used the Olive Oil, Shea/Mango, Aloe, Herbal/Carrot.
I'm CG but I'm not an ingredient fanatic and these have some nice ingredients along with some that people don't always like (mineral oil, parbens). The Aloe and Herbal/Carrot have mineral oil low on the ingredients list but I don't have a problem with that. My hair isn't real fond of mineral oil or glycerin but as long as they are low on the list it doesn't bother it too much. There are also some parabens but those don't bother me either.
They all have a scent that I didn't love, kind of soapy, but it didn't linger and it wasn't too bad.
According to the descriptions and directions they are all considered conditioners. 3 of them are described as rinse outs, the exception being the Olive Oil which is described as a leave in.
I tried each of them as a rinse out co-wash conditioner. Not nearly as slippy or detangling as my VO5 or Suave, and they don't smell nearly as nice. So I won't be using them for co-washing.
I'm sure they will be fine in my deep treatments and I will certainly use them for that.
The real surprise for me was using them as a leave-in. I'm not big on leave ins. I don't like that producty feel and I don't like using too many products. I did some experiments a few weeks ago with a bunch of leave-ins/custards/puddings/etc because my hair gets unhappy in cold winter weather. I liked some of them well enough (and many of them smelled delicious) but nothing was so great that I would buy/use all those extra products.
But these Lustrasilk conditioners seam to be making my hair very happy as leave-ins. They revived the curls and helped with clumping and definition. It feels a little producty but not enough to bother me. And the products are cheap and easy to find so that's even better!
My routine was - co wash or water wash, rinse. Mix a little Lustrasilk with my LA Looks Sport gel, scrunch and squeeze into hair, plop, air and diffuse dry, scrunch.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd