tgreyz, I've posted before about networking and I've copied below one of my posts to you. Stop letting your life happen to you and start living your life. If you take this job and work from home you could freelance for other people and make more money. Check on Craigslist for your area. I've found my husband and one of my clients (both graphics designers) work on there. Sometimes it's small and not much money and sometimes it's a big job that leads to other jobs. What do you have to lose?

Forget about getting a job, start managing your career and your life. In order to manage your career, you need to network, network, network! I wrote that three times to emphasize the amount of time and energy you will have to invest in networking to build a successful network. I am now working in my own accounting practice but before this my last two jobs were never advertised in the paper. I will probably need to hire someone within the year and will not advertise in the paper. My husband just got a lead for a position with an amazing company and the position has not been advertised in the paper. Chances are the job you want will not be advertised.

Find out about the Chamber of Commerce in your town and possibly the neighboring town. Attend a few meetings. Find a Women's Business Group. Find a group of professionals in your field.

Many colleges do not prepare graduates to network in a professional environment. If you are unsure about networking, there are some excellent books available. One that I really like is The Networking Survival Guide by Diane Darling.

Another thing that I've found is that if you want people to think of you and pay you like a professional then you need to act like one. That means dressing the part and acting the part, which to me includes no whining, backstabbing, gossiping, wasting time,etc. Don't just make yourself presentable, be resplendent. I find so many people today want to know what clothing they can get away with in the work place. Donít do that, dress so it is never an issue.

Iím sorry I didnít answer your original query. I think you need to see from another perspective and you will probably feel differently. I was the first person in my family to graduate from college and for years I struggled with who I was or could be and one day I just decided to go for it. Iíve achieved all of my career goals and made great money. Iíve now relocated to a new city on the other side of the country decided to set some new career goals. Iíve started my own firm which I would never have had the guts to do without my knowledge of networking and my professional confidence in myself. Decide what you want, start getting out there and meeting people, once you get connected make sure those people know what youíre looking for and hold on because it can be a wild ride to get what you ask for in life. And never forget that networking isnít just about getting, the giving part is equally or more important.
You seem very sweet but you appear to be in victim mode. Remember you choose how you live. You put energy out there and it will determine what comes back to you. Change what you're putting out. Live with an attitude of gratitude. Count your blessings. Write them down. Write down your goals, your dreams, your wildest desires and focus on them. Pump yourself up. I would recommend watching the Secret. You can watch a copy online for under $10 at thesecret.tv.

And don't forget this is your life, not a dress rehearsal!