I'm currently reading The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet by Colleen McCullough (The Thornbirds), her sequel to Pride and Prejudice - about a third of the way thru, and I'm really liking it. It's still in the same vein as the original Jane Austen, but easier to read than the true vernacular of the day.

Miss Mary is the spinster middle sister you hardly heard about in the original story. She's come a long way since then, and you won't believe where Ms. McCullough has taken Elizabeth and Darcy, Jane and Bingley!

ETA: I underestimated how much I'd read - only about 1/4. Just a little further on, it jumped the shark and the only resemblance to the original is the characters' names - more of an adventure with murders, foul language, far-out plotlines. I'm only a little over half finished, but it gets stranger and stranger . . . I read on Amazon that McCullough wrote it to thumb her nose at the publishing world, and I can believe it - don't know what her particular beef was, though!

Anyway, just wanted to caution those who might think they're getting a Jane Austen-type story - I don't think it's bad really, but it's nothing like that.

After that, I plant to jump into Atlas Shrugged - I last read it about 35 years ago. It seems very apropos to current times!

BTW, I missed the earlier refererence to the Mitford series - I loved them all, too. I got my mother the cookbook for Christmas, and she's really enjoying it.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Last edited by auntnett; 02-18-2010 at 01:22 PM.