View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #91
Cali Chik

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicultcurly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Chik View Post
interesting thread... I used to watch this show out here called Showbiz India (well it used to be called that) and I noticed the women on there always have straight or minimally curly hair. I also noticed they were all light skinned. It pissed me off pretty bad when I finally realized this. Then I remember when I was in college there was this Indian girl who was like... so amazingly pretty and she kept sayin she wasn't attractive because she was dark. I'm black and she was darker than me. I could never figure out why she thought her skin was unattractive. She was so pretty. she talked about how her mom tried to lighten her skin when she was a teen and it didn't work.

So anyway Now I boycott showbiz india.
Having dark skin and seeing it as a problem isn't just an African-American or "black" thing. I put black in quotations because in places outside of America black doesn't solely mean of African descent. Having medium dark brown to black skin to my knowledge is seen as a negative to many in India. It makes sense since most of the Miss Indias and Bollywood actresses have slightly tan to white skin. And skin lightening is fairly common in certain parts of India.
I know and it makes me very angry. I even read an article where the practice and culture of bleaching was defended and they were attacking the criticism as a "western" thing. Basically they were trying to flip it like Demonizing skin bleaching was because westerners don't understand Indian Culture and was trying to impose their values on Indian Culture.
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.
www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

Cali Chik is offline   Reply With Quote