Or how about Newt Gingrich saying that the Democrats will be voted out next election, similar to when many people were voted out for voting for Civil Rights Act of 1964?
Really, Newt!?! Do you really want that comparison in people's heads? I think we can all agree that those who voted for the Civil Rights Act were on the right (right, as in correct) side of our social morals. They took a stand, even if it costs them.
In context, however, Newt was talking to the Republicans of congress, motivating them to vote against the health care bill and reminding them how funny it'll be to see the Democrats fall. Many of these Repubs probably thought the Civil Rights Act was bad anyways, but cannot vocally admit it.
Whether it hurts or helps the Democrats, at least they finally got the cajones to do something. I was starting to fear that it wasn't in them to do something. I thought they were going to run scared when the Repubs kept telling them this is political suicide.
I really hope our general voting population has enough brain cells to see what's going on. I fear they may not, however.
Originally Posted by Boomygrrl

But many Republicans fought that tooth and nail.... just as they are now.
Originally Posted by Amneris
I'm not seeing the Republicans that fought that legislation tooth and nail:

The bill came before the full Senate for debate on March 30, 1964 and the "Southern Bloc" of 18 southern Democratic Senators and one Republican Senator led by Richard Russell (D-GA) launched a filibuster to prevent its passage. Said Russell: "We will resist to the bitter end any measure or any movement which would have a tendency to bring about social equality and intermingling and amalgamation of the races in our (Southern) states."

Totals are in "Yea-Nay" format:

The original House version: 290-130 (69%-31%)
Cloture in the Senate: 71-29 (71%-29%)
The Senate version: 73-27 (73%-27%)
The Senate version, as voted on by the House: 289-126 (70%-30%)

By party

The original House version:
Democratic Party: 152-96 (61%-39%)
Republican Party: 138-34 (80%-20%)

Cloture in the Senate

Democratic Party: 44-23 (66%-34%)
Republican Party: 27-6 (82%-18%)

The Senate version:

Democratic Party: 46-21 (69%-31%)
Republican Party: 27-6 (82%-18%)

The Senate version, voted on by the House:

Democratic Party: 153-91 (63%-37%)
Republican Party: 136-35 (80%-20%)

Racism is ugly and is on both sides of the aisle. Just as someone mentioned in a previous thread, some forms are more overt and some subverted. Dems are not immune to this character flaw either. I'll leave it at that, since I know Republicans are in a vast minority on this board and I prefer not to start a flame war as I have witnessed in the past. I would not have read racism into that comment until it had been fully picked apart. Was he wrong? Definitely, but let's lay blame where it is due.
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ~Thomas Jefferson